We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

I saw a lot of online discussions about the Maasai people lately. I'm planning a trip to the Amboseli park, so I would like to get my facts straight. I found a bit about some of the manyattas and settlements around the park, but there is not really a good enough source for it - or at least I didn't find one. So I'm asking here - have any of you been to the Maasai villages?

There's supposed to be a village near the Iremito gate - has anyone seen it? Where exactly is it? On the Emali road? How big is it? How many Maasai people are there?

Thanks for any and all answers ~

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

Yes - there's plenty of Masai villages just outside the Park. The Villages are some few kms from the entrance of the Park. You will have to go past Emali towards Amboseli.

*On your way to the lodges, you will see the Manyattas.*

Edited: 16 April 2014, 07:23
Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

We visited a Masai village on our safari to Amboseli. It was a very interesting visit. They obviously try to sell you goods but negotiate prices.We saw inside the houses, how they make fire and visited the school which has been funded by visitors. This was not a booked planned visit.

3. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 06:05
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

Here we go.......no spam, you will be deleted.

Ostrava, Czech...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

Hi, I´d like to ask those, who was so lucky to visit Kenya and some of the Maasai villages.

It had to be such a great experience, I´going to take a trip to Kenya too, someday in future :)

I suppose, the Maasai people are nice to visitors. I´d be really interested, how does the Maasai village looks like - is it just very small village formed by only one big family, or are those much larger villages?

Thank you

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

The villages are often a collection of (frequently, but not necessarily) round houses walls made of mud and cow dung with conical roofs made of grass. These are called Manyattas, which are located just inside a protective thorn barrier, which encircles the village. In the centre is a place for the animals. The villages are communities of several families, just like any village. There are plenty of photos on the web.

Maasai people are very nice to visitors, as they rely on sales of things like beaded jewellery and paid visits to their villages to get by.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

The Maasai are pastoralists, (they keep cattle, goats, etc) they follow the good grazing for their animals, so, traditionally, Manyattas aren't permanent settlements. Traditionally, when the grazing becomes poor or exhausted, they will dismantle the houses and move the village to a new location where the grazing is better.

When you are on a game drive you will occasionally come across the site of a recently dismantled manyatta, with the layout of the village clearly marked out as dark patches on the ground

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

Lots of videos on youtube on maasai. they wander all over the place .

9. Re: Maasai villages (probably on Emali road)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2016, 15:18