We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trips in Bali any ideas

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
849 reviews
Save Topic
Side trips in Bali any ideas

We visit Bali annually, usually basing ourselves in Nusa Dua, choosing to visit the hotspots in Kuta and Seminyak rather than stay there. We have developed a successful habit of visiting for a week and including a side trip mid-week for 2 nights to experience other areas - e.g. Ubud and Komodo. We have heard that the north coast e.g. Banyualit / Lovina is worth an overnight stay. The furthest North we have been is Bedugil.

Any ideas?? is two nights too long?? What is there to see or do?? We like to walk, explore, love animal life, like local natural beauty.

9 replies to this topic
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

change your post forum to the bali forum. you will get more answers.

komodo isnt exactly a side trip in bali it is between sumbawa and flores. you would be hrd up doing it in two days. eg flight, boat next day , stay night, boat return, flight following day. more possible to go to rinca. you could do that in two night/three days trip.

lovina is okay but a shorter journey and more diverse would be padangbai or candidasa. from either base there are nearby things to see and do. my pesonal peference is padangbai.

Cronulla, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

Lovina is nice a fair drive up there and you can swim with the dolphins which is something a little different to do

I also like Candi Dasa for a couple of nights we stayed at the Water garden hotel absolutely loved it also near Candi Dasa is the submarine dive tour

Have you thought of really doing a side trip and going to Kuala lumpur, or Ho chi min city for 2 nights we often do this on the way at times there are some really cheap air fares to these places

Even Jakarta is not bad for a couple of nights

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,326 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

If you hav'nt been up to the North of Bali, do yourself a favour and go. I am not a Lovina fan so I stay at Pemuteran where I can snorkel off the beach in front of the hotel. You can go to Menjungan for the best Snorkeling in Bali. You can go on a Jungle trek in the West Bali National Park, Reef Seen Aquatics to look at the Turtle Project, walk around the Harbour at Singaraja. There is a lot of sightseeing on the way up north, Mengwi - Pacung - Bedugal - Lake Bratan - Gigit. Two days is not enough in my opinion.

Australind...
Level Contributor
166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

Try Amed

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

i agree Amed is lovely and really worth the drive beautiful landscapes...we had lunch at candi dasa...stayed in beachfront hotel...can also go diving in protected likttle bay...very relaxing

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
849 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

Thanks guys. Sounds like the North Coast is a great diving destination, but we are not great divers. We are interested in something with a bit of difference, like a quaint village or walking area, particularly beautiful beach etc. Sounds like we should give the dolphin swim a miss.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,564 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

Some of the things we like to do in Lovina and surrounding areas are snorkling, beach walking (the scenery from the black volcanic sand beaches in Lovina is gorgeous), fishing.

Nearby are the Hot springs in Banjar and also the Buddhist temple.

As you leave the mountain, there are the waterfalls (Git Git being one).

Dolphin watching in the boats early morning is nice too.

In Singaraja are the local markets and also an ikat factory and museum.

If you have been to Bedugal, you then enter a mountain just 10 minutes more North (passing monkeys on the side of road) and after about 30 or 40 minutes you come out and arrive in Singaraja/ Lovina area.

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
849 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

Thanks Perth Lovetotravel, Sounds like there is plenty to do

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Side trips in Bali any ideas

When do you intend going to Lovina. I am just back from Bali, visited Candidasa and Lovina. The beach at Lovina is filthy so you really will not be walking on it, you can't even swim in it. I know it is the rainy season in January but they really need to get there act together. All the resorts employ people to clean the beaches twice a day but it is a bit harder to clean up the waterways.

One day in Lovina village I seen a shop owner empty 3 garbage bags of rubbish straight onto the beach...I think education is key for these locals or tourism is really going to drop off. I know I will never go back there even though I stayed in a really great villa.

Candidasa however was clean both along the roads and the beach. Our hotel had black rock beach but the resort next door had a sandy beach so we swam there. If you do go to Candidasa make sure you go to White Sand Beach for the day, really beautiful.

Reply to: Side trips in Bali any ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anturan