We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

Hi!

I am trying to plan a trip for 4 people to Columbia and Tayrona National Park seems like a must see, though we have read a few things about the weather and were not sure if our trip this time would be the best time to see it.

We were planning to go in the first week of July--will it still be raining a lot at that time? We love hiking, but sodden hiking with our bakpacks seems pretty unpleasant and we were not sure if there are just better times of the year to check out this park.

Also, we are considering flying from Bogota to Santa Marta, but we don't want to bring all of our luggage to the park (small roll-on suitcases), so we were hoping for suggestions on where to rent a locker or something to store our luggage in while we go into the park for two days.

We are hoping to take a bus from Santa Marta to Cartagena from there, but I am having trouble locating bus schedules so we know when we have to be back in Santa Marta by.

Thanks so much for the help!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

Hard to predict the weather. July is better than October, but worse than January/February.

I believe there may be school holidays in July. That can really impact Tayrona. Perhaps others here can comment on that.

If you wish to link a Tayrona trip to a Cartagena visit, I'd suggest you fly into Santa Marta, then out of Cartagena. It is a minimum of one half day's travel between the two cities (and sometimes longer).

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

Check Vivacolombia.com.co very cheap flights if you book in advance - cheaper than the bus. If you get a hostel in Santa Marta before heading to Park Tayrona you will be able to store your other bags there. For going between Cartagena and Santa Marta I would recommend one of the private bus services - door to door - like Marsol. Around 50 k each way; 4 hrs.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

Avoid Marsol like the plague. I can't believe anyone would recommend that service from Santa Marta/Tayrona. Also, before you book VivaColombia, do your research here on the forum first. I personally would not fly that airline. Avianca and Copa often have reasonably priced fares IF you book in advance and are not going during a holiday period.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 19:15
Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

www.santamartainfo.com/buses/index.html

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

Well you can believe it Acek; use Marsol often between the 2 locations.

Your comments on Viva I agree with however there reliability is no different from Avianca which is a basket case and always late that's Colombian airlines for you.

6. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 15:04
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

I just took three flights in Colombia on Avianca and all were either on time or slightly early... dont know why you would call it a basket case of an airline.

Take the local bus to get to Tayrona. Just go to Calle 11/Carrerra 11 and look for the buses that say Parque Tayrona in the windshield. It costs $6000 COP and is super easy. The bus driver knows you're going to Tayrona (El Zaino) and will let you off there.

There is seriously no reason to take an organized tour to this park and anyone that does I reckon is getting ripped off.

We stayed at Casa Del Ritmo and they had no problem with us leaving our bags overnight.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

Teej: I called it a basket case as I have to fly it all the time and it is so often late it is beyond a joke, I usually travel the day before from Med to Bogota to avoid missing international flights after numerous bad experiences. The planes are nice, the staff on the planes great - the scheduling etc is terrible if something goes wrong. I would also say it is a nice airline if I had only flown a few times without problems as the fleet is new etc. Maybe I am just old and grumpy, however a good number of years of mess around with them has made me .......

I should state that the above pertains to internal flights; for international I have had great experience, even arriving early however have only flown 4 or 5 times that way so am yet to make up my mind for sure.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

We did a park tour 35k bus - boat- park entance fee - full lunch 35k do the math I wouldn't call that a "ripoff"

btw there are lockers in the park to store your bags

Edited: 24 May 2013, 05:48
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tayrona National Park traveling to and from

You got a damn good price then! The entrance fee is $37,500 alone, so you essentially went for free!