We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did I make a mistake?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Did I make a mistake?

Booked the Westin from 6/15-21, now I'm reading some negative reviews. Hope I won't regret my decision. We will be renting a car, so location won't be too much of an issue. I just hope the hotel lives up to the Westin standards.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did I make a mistake?

A Westin is a Westin - a beautiful property on a beautiful beach. No one cares or should care how it looks from the outside looking at the building, it's what is inside that really counts. Ok,the down side, over priced and overrated restaurants, the up side is there are many fine dining options nearby.

You should consider negative comments carefully and try to weed out the unjustified ones from the real thing.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did I make a mistake?

Thank you Bobcat, I usually do weed out the reviews, but it just seemed like a trend lately. We don't really plan to eat at the hotel, with all the great dining that St Martin has to offer, it would be a waste of a trip in my eyes. Like I said we'll be renting a car, so we'll doing meals elsewhere. Thanks for your input.

rocky hill ct.
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Did I make a mistake?

I booked a week in june at the westin..i've been thinking the same thing?? The reviews aren't too good...thought i was picking a 4 star resort? This is for our 20th anniversary i so hope i won't be disappointed...

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did I make a mistake?

What specific reviews didn't you like?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did I make a mistake?

I guess it was the last three....although they aren't terrible reviews, it's just that they were bunched together and it seemed like a trend, sometimes you'll have a mix of good reviews and bad. But after re reading the most recent one, and seeing that the reviewer has 17 reviews within the last 3 days, I'm not giving that one too much credit. The other two really don't give much information, or specifics, so I guess I was just being a nervous Nelly.

Well not much I can do about it now, we are booked already. As long as I get my oceanfront room and it's clean and the bathroom is clean and in working order I don't have too much to complain about.

Edited: 10 April 2010, 22:48
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did I make a mistake?

I can't imagine that not being the case. The hotel is practically brand new. I'm sure that all will be in proper order and that you'll have a great vacation.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did I make a mistake?

We recently stayed at a villa overlooking the Westin (Feb. 24 - Mar. 11) and the hotel was pretty quiet (sort of surprising since it was, what I would call, prime season). Unless the US economy does a quick about face, the Westin may not be there in its current form for much longer (just my opinion). However, Dawn Beach is one of the nicer beaches around; the snorkeling right of the Westin is some of the best that the island offers; and Mr. Busby's (Daniel's after dark) at the other end of Dawn Beach is one of the island's better bars (cheap, $1 if I recall correctly, Coors Lite during an extended happy hour) and restaurants. If you have a car, you are certainly not tied down to the hotel.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did I make a mistake?

We stay at the Oyster Bay Beach Resort on Dawn Beach which is really close to the Westin. We really like staying on this part of St. Maarten - on the Dutch side, close to the French side. It's easy to get to anywhere on the island from here.

My favorite restaurant is just down the road from the Westin, just outside of the OBBR resort on the little pier across from Busby's. You should take the car because the road from the Westin to Big Fish is steep - will only take 2 minutes to get there from the Westin. The food is great and the atmosphere at night is soft lighting and music.

Mr. Busby's on Dawn beach makes a good breakfast -- you can see the beach and water while starting your day. I remember it being reasonable, but do not remember the cost. We usually have breakfast in our villa, but have breakfast on the beach a couple of times too.

Although I've never stayed at the Westin, if you have a car, it a great location ... a couple of things to do close by, and a short drive to everything else!

It's also a short ride from the Westin to Cul de Sac where you can get the ferry to Pinel. I can't remember how long it took us - maybe 10 - 15 minutes to Cul de Sac and the ferry takes 10 minutes (maybe less??)

It's not too far to get to Orient from the Westin either.

We usually take a walk on the beach from our resort to the Westin ... you just have to cross over some rocks to get there, or when you reach the rocks, you can walk in the water to get around them (maybe waist deep or a little higher). You can do the opposite and after you cross the rocks, stop at Busby's for a guavaberry colada!

Edited: 21 April 2010, 11:56
new england
Level Contributor
266 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did I make a mistake?

I wouldn't worry about staying at the Westin, it's a nice facility. Beautiful views, nice surroundings. I have friends who stay there 3-4 times a year.

They use Westin points but they've been going to SXM for several years and have never complained about the Westin. They keep returning and wouldn't if it was horrible, points or not. So, don't go there with a negative thought. You'll be on the most wonderful island in the Caribbean. Mixed cultures, many fine restaurants and awesome beaches. Nothing not to like. Go and enjoy!!

Contessa

Richmond
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Did I make a mistake?

We don't think so. We just returned from spending at week at the Westin and had an absolute blast.

The hotel is very nice and staff was extremely friendly. It was very tough for us to leave!

Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten
Recent Conversations