We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

Philipsburg, St...
8 posts
Save Topic
Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

A company called World Presidential Travel is luring tourists to travel club presentations though a "Scratch and Win game" on Front Street and other locations. Everyone wins with triple sevens, of course. They imply you've won $500 but the prize is actually "free travel" that costs over $400 to use. The memberships cost between $4000 and $14000 and provide little price benefit over what you can find yourself. Several of the people running the company have fraud convictions in the USA. Do a Google search on World Presidential Travel or Member Services Group for more details.

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

You are very correct. I am sorry that I did not remember this post prior to going. My husband and I are pretty familiar with various scam techniques, but they gave the 'winning 777 scratch ticket' to my 16 year old daughter and told her she may have won $500.00 shopping spree there or a video camera...or maybe a vacation as an after thought. Well, we were torn as the excitement in our daughters eyes was so evident....the scammer (who claimed the other tickets won our other daughter a tee shirt and my husband and I two free drinks)...he told us we could claim those prizes after our 25 minute video and walked us to the demo place. Now, in there they were very polite, we had cold beer, the kids had pop, we watched their video, answered their questions, turned down their offer of membership (we own timeshare and love it) ...of course our 'prize' was a certificate for one week and a timeshare resort, for $200.00 per person, but we could upgrade to a one bedroom or two bedroom for extra fees, as well as a administration fee for activating the certificate...plus another fee I can't remember what it was for. Our oldest was devastated, but I used it as a learning moment for her, but what really bugged me as we went back to get the younger ones 'free' teeshirt, the scammer was gone and his co scammer knew nothing of teeshirts or free drinks for the other scratch tickets. One lesson per day for the kids was enough, now I had another kid's heart broken.

So, if you are reading this before going to Phillipsburgh, try to remember the scratch ticket scam, and do not waste your time....if you do, get the tee shirt first. The scammer had an Australian accent.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

These timeshare scams are unfortunately common and not just in town. There are legitimate ones too.

If you feel you must see a timeshare don't expect too much in the way of free stuff and do expect some high pressure sales methods. Some do offeer free trips to St Barths or other useful gifts, ask first what these gifts will be and then hang tight, it can run a couple of hours easy or more.

Philipsburg, St...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

This scam is /not/ a time share. It's a travel club, which is quite different. In fact, they downplay time shares as a bad investment compared to their offering.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

The timeshare come-on is the same as your "travel club" cone-on, that's my point. Also my point is that their are legitimate timeshare opportunities on the island. There are thousands of satisfied timeshare owners on the island. Yes, their are unhappy ones as well, yes there are and have been problems with several of the timeshare operators over the years.

Investigate before you" invest" your money in any timeshare/real estate venture.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

I hate to say it but this type of scam is as old as the hills of St. Martin itself. We were approached by a "Scratch and Win" guy on our first visit to St. Martin back in 1988 and they've been there on every subsequent trip - dofferent companies probably but all scams nonetheless.

These types of scams are not unique to St. Martin and if you do a fair amount of travel you might encounter these guys again and again all around the globe. Just ignore them.

Fayetteville, North...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

My wife and I were in St Martin for two weeks July 10-24th. On the last day of our first week, a worker at the resort gave us the name and number of her friend who could take us to a timeshare presentation were our prize could be our choice of dinner at a restaurant or $100 towards the cost of a snorkeling trip. We called and arranged to meet this person at the Pelican Resort where we were staying our second week. The fellow wanted to take us to two presentation and that would only last 90 minutes each. The first stop was World Presidential in Philipsburg. After watching their film and listening to their presentation about how they could get us out of our timeshare obligation, they wanted us to make a decision on the spot to buy into their plan for $14,900. They would give us credit towards their plan for what we thought we paid for the timeshare.After telling two different people we never make a decision like that on the same day, a third person, who identifies himself as the owner starts talking to us. Three hours went by with us saying the same thing before they gave up. By this time the credit they wanted to give us was a third more than what it started as. When checking out, they wanted my resort name and room number. I refused to give them my room number and they refused to give me my prize. The guy who took us there said they just started pressuring people this way.

Philipsburg, St...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

@Bobcat I've been to several timeshare presentations and this is not the same thing. You are not helping people by claiming it is. Sure, there are similarities in the sales pitch but it's purely a con in the case of this travel club. Several, if not most of the salespeople, have been convicted in the states for deceptive business practices and/or travel-related fraud and some of them have served prison time for it. Yes, the time shares presentations I've been to have been high pressure but they have at least been honest about the prizes they were giving. World Presidential Travel is not the same at all.

@echj Maybe they are starting to increase the pressure a bit because the word is getting around about their activities. However, it sounds like the same techniques they've been using for a while. Just because they (and similar companies) been doing this since 1988 or whenever doesn't mean we should make it easy for them to rip off our fellow travelers. Many of the states in the USA are suing companies like this and putting them out of business. That's why they are moving offshore.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

Suit yourself digger - to me the come-on is like so many timeshares offer I have seen over many years. That's my opinion.

I have no knowlege of the rest of your commentary and do not plan on making any accusations I can not support with factual backup

People reading these postings I am sure are quite able to decide for themselves without my help.

Philipsburg, St...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

We don't disagree that there are similarities in some of the sales techniques.

For facts and evidence, do an internet search for some of the employees: "John Jureidini", "Dan Lemrond", and "John Narez", for example. On Google, put their names in quotes and add 'travel scam' or 'travel fraud' and you find some interesting information about their history. For general information on travel club scams in the USA do a search for 'attorney general travel club scam' to see how many states are taking legal action against these companies.

Lanham, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Before of travel club scam in Philipsburg

Has anyone use World Presidential Travel (WPT) for cruises, travel, dining, etc. My wife and I were approached by this man on Front Street in St. Maarten to go and listen to the presentation of WPT.

phillydawg