We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaction in St Martin

Paris, France
Level Contributor
295 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
vaction in St Martin

Hi

we would like to spend our vacations in St Martin,what the best French or Ducth?because some people said the Dutch party is

dirty?

thank's

good day

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaction in St Martin

Both sides have their own personality but one side has more activities than the other. The French side is quiet and little night time activities and the Dutch is more built up and has most of the night time activities. Every vacationer has their preference and so if you would prefer a more rural atmosphere for most of the day and night, then you should look to stay on the French side. If you would prefer a more active area with more stores, more people, and more resorts, then you should look to stay on the Dutch side.

The only reason that some people dislike the Dutch side is because it is so built up whereas the French side has more strictitions on building, Also, the French side is more liberal with their clothing options so if you prefer the European flair, then look toward the French side.

Keep in mind that both sides are very easy to get to so some people who prefer activities in the night but prefer the French side during the day will find a location the sleep on the Dutch side so that they don't have to travel the dark roads at night by car, especially with so much that is going on now.

Regarding the cleanliness, I find both sides have their problems with litter and a dirty feeling in places but I do not go to the island looking for this so it's hard to say. I guess it depends on the individual.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
295 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaction in St Martin

thank' very much for your info,i prefer when there is night life,so i hope we go

in the dutch party

excuse my bad english

nice day

Paris, France
Level Contributor
295 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaction in St Martin

hello

thank you very much to answer soon,i hope we go to the dutch party,because i when there is night life and shopping,

nice day (excuse my bad english)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaction in St Martin

Bonjour, If it's night life you are looking for, then the Dutch side would be the choice. Lots of fun in the Maho area and Simpson Bay. Rent a car and explore the whole island, the French side is really nice, we spend a lot of time there during the day. Enjoy the beaches and local cuisine. Amusez-vous!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
295 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaction in St Martin

Hi,

merci,did you know the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort,it'in Maho bay,but i saw

planes landing very close the beach?is there many planes during the day and the night?beacause when we were in Greece,it's was very noisy,is there carnival in fébruary?

bonne journée@

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaction in St Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KjPNj2jgw

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: vaction in St Martin

Hi,

I just came back fromSt maarten (July 2010) ....we'd heard all the fun was Dutch side-but I found the beach bars on Orient better- maybe it was just the time of year.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vaction in St Martin

But the beach bars on Orient are for the most part closed at night. seela was looking for nightlife.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
295 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vaction in St Martin

hi,

yes i love to do shopping and take a drink at night but my husband doen't like it,but he did,is the restaurants are expensive?and for the planes landing close the beach,is it very noisy,there is planes during the night?

thank's all

good day

10. Re: vaction in St Martin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2011, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten