We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car on St. Martin....?

Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car on St. Martin....?

Heading to St. Martin next month, any recommendations on car rentals? Cost, ease of pick up from the airport, need??? How are the roads and drivers? Pretty easy to get around? Thanks everyone!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,356 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

Many choices, ours is Hertz, largest fleet, most locations, great service. Book on line, bring your confirmation to the booth at the airport, sign your rental agreement, shuttle to the lot and select your vehicle. Liability coverage is included in the rate from Hertz Sint Maarten no matter which site you use to book.

Roads are narrow, drives all like to be the car in front, not hard to get around, signs are helpful. Watch for people and animals on some roads. Some roads have bumps or as they say in Jamaica, "sleeping policemen" so drive with caution.

Do check the vehicle out before taking possession, make sure everything is in working order, including lights, break lights, full tank, etc.. enjoy...

Edited: 05 August 2010, 20:45
Boston...
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

Great info. Thanks!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

Ask this question and you could get as many replies as days oin the year. Everyone has a favorite. Our's is Kennys. We have been going to SXM for nine years and have always used them. Leslie Bruce will meet you as you exit the terminal and take you directly to your car. In 15 minutes you are on your way. All the paperwork is done at the car...a little strange doing business with a guy in a parking lot...but Leslie is the best. Always has a great rate and very responsive to your emails.

http://www.kennyscarrental.com/

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
80 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

Agree with the recommendation for Kenny's. Lesley is a great guy; he's prompt and reliable and has a fleet of decent 4-door Corollas that are always in good working order. If you do rent a car, be sure to leave NOTHING in it when you park it. Ever.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

Is it a good idea paying for extra insurance coverage for the vehicle? I've read so much about the break-ins that I'm worried someone will damage the car and leave me responsible. I won't leave anything in the car but that won't guarantee someone doesn't attempt to get in the trunk & damage it in the process. Any thoughts? How much more would it cost per day?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,356 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

mquest - I'm not sure what you meant by "extra" insurance.

All of the rental companies will sell you their liability and collision waivers.

Many of these waivers come with a deductable so that you're on the hook for the first amount, what ever it may be, say $500.00.

Many credit cards wil cover you 100% for the collison/loss part but do not cover the liability part.

Hertz will give you the liability waiver at no additional cost above the quoted rate but again there is a deducable that would be the responsibility of the renter.

I don't think they would offer a plan that has no deductable for an additional charge. Can't hurt to ask no matter who you use but remember....

It is important to understand that although referred to as

insurance, it isn’t really insurance at all – rather, the so called insurance arrangements are terms of your contract with the rental car company. The rental car company itself may be backed by its own insurers but this insurance cover, if it exists,does not extend directly to you.The protection you obtain from the rental contract is only as good as the ability of the rental car company to meet any claim. If the rental car company has few assets, in some circumstances that may leave you as the driver of the vehicle open to liability to third parties.It is a good idea to hire vehicles only from rental car companies that are obviously financially sound, and are more likely to be able to honor the insurance provisions of their contracts.

Edited: 07 August 2010, 17:14
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

I have been going to SXM for the past 10 years and usually about 4-5 times per year, as my daughter lives on island. Always rent from Thrifty - you can reserve online. Their rates are reasonable and they have good condition cars. I would definately buy the physical damage insurance - seems that someone always bumps the car in a parking lot every time I'm there. Liability insurance can be extended on your credit card - check the card benefits. Get the smallest car you can fit into - the parking is very limited in many places.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,356 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

As far as i know credit cards do not cover liability waivers. If you have one please provide a link. Thank you.

New Jersey
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

try these ppl> rentautomax.com/st-maarten-car-rental.html

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car on St. Martin....?

I think that the above info was reversed. International collision is covered by some Credit Cards like Capital One and liability is NOT covered by the CC but you should purchase it through the rental agent except when it's included in the price like what was mentioned. Last year a traveler here decided to ignore the warnings and then came back here to plead for help on what to do since he had hit another car. It truly cost him alot for the towing and repair. Luckily he was covered for collision after finding out that his credit card covered his car....but not the other car.

I also vote for Kenny's as the car is at the airport when you arrive. Being taken off premises is like becoming a captured audience if when you arrive at the offsite rental office you find out that the rate you were quoted was not being honored. Then try getting back to the airport to find another option....yeah right...

Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten