We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

I just wanted to know how the stars are at night in St Martin? Is this a excellant place to star gaze or is it just average? Any advice would be great! Thanks!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
886 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

I stayed at Maho are generally the lights wash out a bit of the night time sky. I'm reasonably sure that on other parts of the Island you'll get great star gazing opportunities.

Even at Maho though, I could still be the band of the central milky way. Being further south, the center of the galaxy is slightly higher in the night sky and you can glimpse the upper part of some of the southern constellations.

Bring a pair of binoculars...you wont regret it. :)

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

So the south end of the island is best for seeing stars? Im staying at Dawn beach which is suppose to be far away from everything so hopefully the stars are good at night if i want to lay on the beach. I know this is a general questions but are the a lot of clouds everyday out there or is it really clear most days? Thanks!!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

Most days(at least in December) there are periods of no clouds and then there are periods of passing cumulus clouds. Most nights are clear with again a few passing clouds. This doesn't count the 15 minute showers that pop up out of nowhere.

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

Not only the stars beautiful to gaze at but try looking at the phases of the moon. Very different than what you are used to in the States. Crescent begins toward the bottom rather than from the side. I didn't notice this until many years of traveling to the island. Now I can't help but notice.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

There's an app for iPhone and iPad called Star Walk. When you hold it up to the night sky, it identifies what you're looking at. has anyone tried it yet. Sounds interesting.

Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

yes i had that on our DroidX but didnt work on the island but the night sky was gorgeous& had the moon too:)

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

St. Maarten is best island in the Caribbean from our humble opinion. I don't think there are much starry starry nights, but keep your gaze at the beautiful beaches when you reach!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

Beautiful starry nights here. Just gotta get away from places with lots of lights. Had some clouds last night, but in between the stars were beautiful. Happened to catch a shooting star too!

9. Re: Any Star Gazers out there been to St Martin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2011, 06:17