We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in St. Maarten

waltham, ma
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car in St. Maarten

I am heading to St. Maarten for the first time at the end of March. I've heard horror stories about renting cars in St. Maarten, does anyone know a reliable car rental place? Thanks :)

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

Renting cars on Sint Maarten over 20 years - never a problem -

The ones that are most often mentioned and are the highest rated are - in no special order

St. Louis

Unity

AAA

Kenny's

Hertz

Ottawa
Level Contributor
122 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

Lesley Bruce from Kenny's is #1 in my book.

bruce@sintmaarten.net

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

I have always used Hertz. They also include the liability insurance in the rental quote.

waltham, ma
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

Thank you all so much for your help! I have since emailed Kenny's and am waiting for a quote. Thanks again :)

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

If Kenneys doesn't include the liability be sure and add it on. Most credit cards cover the collision but not liability.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
23 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

Driving isn't too bad since you're driving on same side as in the US. Locals are generally accommodating and traffic laws seem to be quite lax; be ready for lots of "merging" with no signals. I do recommend at least a mid size car (Hyundia Sonata) or small SUV, something with a decent suspension - particularly if staying around Simpson Bay. The roads here and in other areas of the Dutch side can be horrible. Also, plan on always taking belongings with you rather than leaving them in the car. One local showed how he could enter my locked car in 5 seconds(!) and since rentals tend to be the same 4-5 models the criminals are very familiar with the process.

orangeville
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

Just returned from St. Maarten, Oct. 21, 2012. We rented two cars from Lesley Bruce under Kenny's Car Rental. Extremely efficient, met us at airport, walked out from terminal, and they were in the airport parking lot. So convenient. Did the paper work in 10 minutes and we were off. Cars were fine, you do not want a spanking big brand new one anyhow, if you look around while driving, you will understand why. Easiest car rental that I have ever had and I felt very at ease working with Lesley. Highly recommended!

Cottonwood Heights...
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

Do you need to have an international drivers license to rent a car? Or just a U.S. one?

orangeville
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

All that was required was our Canadian Drivers' license, so I assume, it would be the same for USA, but check it out with your fellow citizens. Do check with your personal insurance for out of country coverage. Most major credit card's travel insurance cover collision, but you have to decline it on the rental agreement , in order for it to kick in. Check with your cc company for specifics just to be sure and be sure to read the fine print before leaving as to what is required at the scene of the accident etc in order for you to submit a claim, if something unfortunate happens. It is quite extensive what they require, and if you do not have the appropriate accident documentation, you could be out of luck. Also, be certain to take third party liability insurance offered by the rental agency, not overly expensive, 6-8$ per day, or depending on the agency included in the rental rate. Better safe than sorry. I know up here in Ontario,Canada most insurance companies, do not offer coverage through your own auto policy, for out of country. Check to see also that the country to which you are traveling, is listed on your CC company's out of country coverage list. Be sure to have a good co-polite with you while driving, as the streets are not clearly marked or indicated prior to arriving at each one. I believe there is only one stop light on the entire island, and many round-abouts, and therefore, lots of merging here and at intersections. You will hear lots of horn beeping, and at first I thought it was all directed at myself, but alas, they were just saying hello to every acquaintance on the street! I do not recall seeing any three way stops, which would certainly help the traffic situation in the major cities. Several one-ways, so watch for the signs, not exactly visible sometimes, as we found out. Luckily the locals guided us back....wards!!! Try and avoid rush hours in the major centres, could be rather slow, off hours we just sailed through! The French police are very particular when it comes to seatbelts and drinking and driving as all should be and we passed many roadside checks on our daily journeys. Check to make sure that you have good wiper blades on the car, you will need them especially if raining at night if you are out and about. As mentionned previously, lock your doors while driving at night through the cities, and donot leave anything visible in the car ever. If you get caught in a downpour watch the water coming off the hillside, can actually be a stream at times. We came in at the tail end of tropical storm Raphael, got turned around at the airport and ended up going through the Lowlands, not a good idea in the pouring raining, ploughing through a foot and half of water..... silly tourists! It was an adventure nonetheless. Would not hesitate to rent a car on our return. Happy driving!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car in St. Maarten

Does anyone have a phone number for Leslie at Kennys car rentals? I sent an email last week and still no response. Thank you.