We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dad traveling with two girls

Noblesville, Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Dad traveling with two girls

Hey all... I know this type of message has been left many many times before but I am going to be "that guy" and ask the same questions. Real quick though let me explain my situation. I will be vacationing with my 9 and 12 year daughters. We love to swim, snorkel, explore, shop, eat, sightsee, people watch, and have fun. I want to show my kids the Caribbean way and let them see the sights, sounds, eclectic decor, and let them see something other than the midwest. At this time I don't have any intentions to rent a car but if need be, we can take the bus. With all this said, I have determined the Dutch side is where we want to stay and I have narrowed it down to Simpson Bay and Great Bay. Ultimately, I want to be able to step on to the beach where we can swim and snorkel (with active sea life), walk to a lot of shopping and a lot of restaurants.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Raleigh
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

Mike,

I have take my now 18 year daughter to st Martin for many years. You MUST rent a car. The best beaches are not at resorts. It is easy to drive around the island. Simpson Bay is a great area to stay at. But rent a car. Go to Grand Case, Mullet Bay, take a snorkle boat ride. It is a great island but do rent a car. I am happy to give you many ideas for your trip.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

If you want to show them the Caribbean, you will need a car, or you will only see the tourist spots.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

Car rental is an absolute must. Great Bay, Phillipsburg is a terrific location for walking to stores, restarants, etc. Need the car to explore the island, visit the French side, go snorkling, etc.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

And finally schedule a visit to L'Escargot for dinner in Phillipsburg. Expensive, but a real treat. If you think your girls are old enough, they do a gay burlesque show on Thursday eves. which is great fun.

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

Rent the car! Take them to the market in Marigot on Wednesday mornings, go to Grand Case, for a walk, a swim, a great meal. Over to Orient beach, friars beach. Way to much to see and do to not have the car, and cars are cheap in SXM.

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

I rented a car from Travel Rent-a-car for just $15/day. That is less than many one-way taxi rides! While the idea of walking to everything is nice, my experience on the island is that you will have a much better time and a far greater number of options if you rent a car.

Noblesville, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like i need to rent a car. I will do that. Now i just need to concentrate and find a place to stay. I am thinking getting something from VRBO is the best and most economical way to go? Thoughts?

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

We did VRBO for a place at Orient Beach and it was very affordable. We looked far and wide and couldn't find a better deal. My advice is to find reviews of the specific person from whom you will be renting as that can make all the difference.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

Look at condo's for rent from owners at Royal Palm and Flamingo at www.sxm.atlanticwebfitters.net No middle person to pay as you deal direct from the owner of the condo unit. I have rented out my room through this site to other people and friends have rented from people listed on this site with no problems.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 19:06
Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dad traveling with two girls

For some reason my link was not working. Try this one. http://smx2.atlanticwebfitters.net/

This one should work for you.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 19:09
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten