We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children friendly beach to snorkel

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Children friendly beach to snorkel

Hell all!

My family will be arriving in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten on Tuesday, 11/20, on a cruise, and just as I thought I had my St. Maarten all taken care of, I realize the Orient Beach is nude optional beach. My children are 7 & 9, and you can see why I do not want to take them there now. We want to go to children friendly beach for a few hours of snorkeling & swimming after our looking around the towns of Phillipsburg & Marigot . Please, I'd appreciate all your advise!

thanks!!!

Jamie

Tennessee
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

Only the southern most part of Orient Beach is clothing optional. The majority of the beach is not. You are likely to encounter topless sunbathers on any beach on the French side.

Le Galion just south of Orient is shallow and kid friendly.

Pinel island north of Orient is also a good option and probably the best beach for snorkeling.

St. Martin is not known for being a snorkeling destination but Pinel is one of the better locations to do so.

See here for all the beaches with info

sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/stmaarte…

Dustin

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
908 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

Not that I'm a nudist, but I don't understand the reason - children obviously care much *less* about nudity than adults do, so I dont see why the kids would be the reason not to go there.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

Snorkling at, Little Bay, Rouge, Mullet,Cupecoy, Créole Rock in Grand Case, Orient, Pinel, Green Cay, Tintamarre, Galion & Dawn.-

-----------------------------------

For the youngsters Little Bay - Galion, Pinel are better

---------------------------------

snorkling trip = http://snorkelstmaarten.com/

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

Le Galion is probably your best bet as we were told that is the family beach for the locals. I echo the comments that your kids are far less likely to care about people being naked than most adults, but I am not going to presume to tell you how to raise your kids either.

Just be aware that any beach and most pool decks on the French side, topless for women is permitted and quite common. If that is something you want to avoid, then you should probably stay on the Dutch side where topless is not nearly as prevalent. We saw no topless women at Little Bay or Great Bay, but I don't know if either of those would be suitable for snorkeling.

Caracas
Level Contributor
700 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

Only certain part of Orient is nudity permitted, but all Orient is topless optional. However, Orient isn´t the best choice for kids snorkeling. As others have said, Pinel is the best for that, also Le Galion.

I agree with Rob. My 8 years old son will easily notice nudity and for sure will begin make questions. I don´t want to spend time in the beach explaining things to my kid and trying him not to get unconfortable.

Chicago Il
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

Pinel island is my favorite. I can't swim and it's the only place I feel really comfortable snorkeling. I believe you can book an excursion there through the cruise ship or just cab over and then you take a small boat across to the island.

Canton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

hi jamie...spent many years as an owner at the "simpson bay resort" great place to stay with young kids. many pools and they have a playground too. the beach is great, very easy in and out with a dock tethered out a ways. they have everything you need right there in that area. and it has security guards onsite.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

Holzeto, they are not looking for a place to stay, only there from a cruse for one day.

To the OP:

Pinel was the first oplace that came to my mind. Very calm waters for the kids and faily good snorkling.

Creole is only accesable by boat and Rouge is usually rough with a steeper entry thats not the best for kids.

Pinels first ferry leaves at 10:00am and the last one returns between 4:00-5:oopm. Trying to combine a look arouind Phillipsburg and Marigot with a snorkle swim at pinel will be a very full day for 7&9 year olds.

9. Re: Children friendly beach to snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten