We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Avis??

Lee's Summit, MO
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - Avis??

Has anyone used Avis in St Maarten? Are they reliable?

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
23 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

I rented a car from Avis in St. Maarten for two weeks in late September 2013. I purchased full insurance and went over the vehicle thoroughly and took pictures with my digital camera. The front right wheel hub was severely scraped from a previous client and there was a lug-nut missing. I made them replace the missing lug-nut for safety reasons. It had been missing for quite a while as the threads were very rusty.

I had the vehicle for two full weeks and it was always parked in a gated secure complex when I wasn't using it. When I returned the car after the 2 weeks, the clerk came out of the office and saw a small dent in the running board from like 40 meters away. Not even Superman can see that good!! He informed me that he would have to have the running board re-painted and I would have to pay for it. I got down on my knees and looked close at the small dent. Amazingly, there were no fresh scape marks or metal filing showing. The dent had been painted over and they were trying to make me pay for previous damage that had already been repaired.

I looked the clerk straight in the eye and told him in a stern voice that he was full of SH!T!! He then pointed at another so called scrape near the rear hatch. I wiped it off with my thumb, it was bird droppings. I pulled out my digital camera and started scanning through the photos. Once I did that the clerk changed his tune, and said, "You seem like an honest guy, if you send something my way I'll forget about the damage"!! Now we have gone from a paint job to a bribe. I threw him a $20 to be sure I would catch my flight on time.

If you rent from Avis in St. Maarten make sure you go over the vehicle and take pictures. When you return it they will automatically assume you did something to the vehicle and will try and charge you for it!!! I used airline points for this rental, next I visit St. Maarten I will rent from Kenny's. He has excellent reviews. Avis tried to pull a fast one and I won't be renting from them again anywhere outside of North America!!

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

Avis is committed to excellence in providing customers the best all-around service available in the car rental industry.

A customer's satisfaction with Avis service is most important.

We view with extreme gravity any report of unacceptable treatment to a customer, as there is no excuse for this kind of manners.

Under all circumstances, customers should be treated with respect and professionalism.

We sincerely apologize for the unacceptable manner made by the Avis agent with whom you spoke.

Please be assured that corrective measures have been immediately taken to prevent any recurrence.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to provide the type of quality service for which we are known, and that you expect and deserve as a valued Avis customer.

I would like to contact you, would you please give me your reservation number, or rental agreement number , or your exact date of rental and name of renter

Sincerely,

Philippe Barbier

General Manager

AVIS Rent A Car St Maarten - St Martin

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

That's a heads up response from Avis. Sounds like they care about their customers.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
23 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

Phillippe;

My rental confirmation was 43464129CA2 for September 22nd to October 6th, 2013. I prefer not to leave my name or email on an online forum. I did list my email on the rental agreement. Contact me through email and I can answer any questions about the service I received when returning the rental unit!

CommanderRyker

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

You can send a private message here by clicking on the poster's name. Good luck!

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
23 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

The manager of Avis in St. Maarten, Mr. Philippe Barbier went through great lengths to contact me after reading my review. He was truly upset and genuinely apologetic about the service I received at Avis and took immediate action. I spoke directly with Mr. Barbier directly for about 10 minutes. He had a full staff meeting to discuss going over the vehicles properly when they are returned to be sure nothing is forgotten, even if it's a simple item like a lug nut that could eventually become a safety issue. He will use a few of my photo's to improve employee training. Mr. Barbier also assured me that the staff member that tried to take advantage of me when I returned the rental vehicle will be terminated once identified. To be fair to Mr. Barbier, my review was mostly about poor customer service. The rental vehicle, although moderately used, was mechanically sound.

Once I have been crossed the wrong way, I usually don't look back. After speaking with Mr. Barbier, I believe he has an honest personality and the service I received isn't a reflection of what he stands for. He told me if I rent from him again in the future, he will show me exactly the kind of service I should have experienced. I plan to return to St. Maarten next year, and if I do I will give Mr. Barbier and Avis a second chance.

California City...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

I being renting cars from avis years now I goes twice a year never had a problem with the cars I even be came friends with the workers when you are away from home you want to make sure you feel at home you deal with people that care DARREN helps me good the staff are very friendly and they make you feel at home

Lee's Summit, MO
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

I appreciate all of the posts. We rented from Avis last year in St. Maarten. We received a smaller vehicle than what we paid for (they said they did not have any of that size available) but the one we happened to receive was new. We were not offered a refund of the difference but after seeing the condition of the other cars, we chalked the extra cost up for reliability and safety. Discovering that smaller is better when driving in St. Maarten, we were happy that we ended up with a smaller vehicle so considered it a good experience.

We will be arriving in St. Maarten this Saturday, January 4th and have again booked with Avis. Reliability and safety are extremely important so we are hoping for a vehicle in the same new and mechanically sound condition as we had last year. Upon our return, I will post regarding our experience.

9. Re: Car Rental - Avis??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten