We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fresh seafood & vegetables

NY
1 post
Save Topic
fresh seafood & vegetables

do they have a farmers market as we know it here in the US? Unfortunate for us we shall be flying in Sunday late afternoon so I guess Monday would be our best bet! We are staying at the Flamingo! Another question I believe the last time we were there the meat selection was much improved, although I forgot where the local butcher was? Any info anyone can give us would be much appreciated, along with any excursions :) Thanks we shall be there during Xmas and New Years so we want to make this a memorable vacation for our adult children that will be with us!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
77 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fresh seafood & vegetables

Skipjacks in Simpson Bay has a great fresh seafood market.

Philipsburg, St...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fresh seafood & vegetables

Unfortunately no farmers market.

About the best place I find for fruits and vegetables is Market Garden in Simpson Bay - about 2 minutes from Flamingo. And they are open on Sunday afternoon. Usually they are about the most expensive, but yesterday I got a weeks worth of great veg for under $30 which is unheard of anywhere on St Maarten!! I usually do my weekly shop at one of the bigger supermarkets and then stop at Market Garden for any fruit and veg I could not get. They are on my way to everywhere so I also stop there for last minute supplies - expensive, but good quality and convenient.

Next for good fruit and veg is Grande Marche on the way to Marigot - about 15 minutes from Flamingo. Christmas and New Year they usually stock up on a lot of the really good food from France - but beware, there is a serious price tag attached as this produce is often flown in.

Meat - there is no butcher shop on the Dutch side (not sure about Marigot any more either) - I get my weekly meat from either of the big Grande Marche stores or Cost-U-Less. Both will have larger cuts, hams and turkeys over the festive season.

Special festive treats - Grande Marche on the way to Marigot usually has a good selection of cheeses and cold meats, but the best, for cheese anyway, is one of the French side supermarkets - the closest to you would be the one in Sandy Ground - US Supermarche.

Bakeries - stunning selection of sweet treats at Sarafina's in Marigot along the waterfront. In Simpson Bay you have La Sucrie which, while still good, has about half the selection. Both have great mousse cakes if you are looking for a desert centerpiece.

If you are looking for a lot of meat, and have some time to wait, then head to Merchants Market (down the Harley Davidson Road) - this is a wholesale spot so it is usualy all frozen, bulk and you don't get to look at the food, you pick from a list - however if you have the facilities and are feeding a crowd it is worth it. I go there to buy leg of lamb or whole tenderloins. Cash or local check, no credit cards.

In all supermarkets check prices - cherry tomatoes can be $3.50 to over $20 for a box depending on where they are from and if they are organic.

Excursions (with good food:)) - if you like to sail and snorkel a trip to Prickley Pear is always fun (I make sure I go every year). I also like to recommend Pinel Island for the snorkeling and the great food at Karibuni and Loteri Farm for the zip line and the great food and ambiance at the Hidden Forest Cafe. Plenty of wonderful restaurants in Grand Case to choose from. Beach restaurants in Orient, Grand Case and Karakter on Simpson Bay beach.

So much to do, see and eat...:)

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fresh seafood & vegetables

I believe there is a butcher in Concordia section of Marigot and there also are road side stands selling veggies and fruit...

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fresh seafood & vegetables

Daniel, a French side butcher, has a place at the Marigot Market near the fish vendors. Believe he is there until noon on Wednesday and Saturday. Plenty of fresh fish there too!

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fresh seafood & vegetables

and don't forget on the way from Cole Bay to Marigot, the Solidarity Rastafari Foundation farm at Bellevue. The 15-20 acre plot was set aside by the French Collectivite five and a half years ago for cultivation by the Rastafari farmers. They offer organic produce with no pesticides or chemicals.

6. Re: fresh seafood & vegetables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2017, 04:30
7. Re: fresh seafood & vegetables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:29