We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring gifts to locals?

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bring gifts to locals?

hiya … I've been to Cuba where gifts for the local workers were appreciated … first time going to St Maarten, do the workers etc there have need, or would appreciate some things they can't get there?

If so, examples would be great …

Any other input for first time visitors would also be appreciated… we staying in condos … car rental advice?

thnx

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,517 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring gifts to locals?

If you read Cuba forums carefuly, you should realise that you should leave 'gifts' at home

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k698…

and I would say the same goes for St. Marten,.,,

car rental is advisable

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring gifts to locals?

You might give this some consideration. Your generosity is admirable, as so many focus only on food and shopping when on the island, or when traveling in general.

http://www.i-canfoundation.org/

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring gifts to locals?

I know you asked specifically about St. Martin, but mentioned Cuba re: gifting. Please have a read as it may change your mind about the gifting craze tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cub…

My personal opinion, is if you wouldn't tip a maid, waitstaff, etc with shampoo and pantyhose or various other dollar store trinkets at home, why would you do it while away?

Your generosity is very kind, however if you wish to bring items, consider donating to a local church, regardless of destination. Otherwise it's hard to go wrong tipping in cold hard cash, in local currency :)

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring gifts to locals?

thanx all for expedient responses … i had no idea re cuban "gifting" when i was in cuba i brought extra tshirts etc, some good old canadian maple syrup, spices (curry, cumin etc …) .. items i thought would be hard to get in cuba … the "chef" at the resort loved the spices … the grounds keeper loved the hats and tshirts and other clothes i left … the bartender the shaving stuff, cologne .. etc ...

i get what you are all saying though .. they not as poor as we "make" them out to be … although when we went to town, Moron, they didn't have much of a selection in their groceries and other stores … (the 1 CUC beers everywhere were great) so i think some of the stuff we left would be well used, and/or sold … the maintenance staff at the resort could use better tools though … if i bring them a wrench they'd sell it or use it to better their work ability?

i assumed st maarten workers would be less "needy" … probably not bringing anything .. except maybe a Haile Selassie and Marcus Garvey framed picture for the Freedom Fighter Shack …

thanx for the input .

5. Re: Bring gifts to locals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Sint Maarten