We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

Hello - I have recently discovered this hotel in St.Martin. Our past with SXM includes Grand Case Beach Club and L'Hoste. We also stayed at the Meridien (which I believe this Radisson used to be?).

The recent reports of crime against tourists has left me feeling uneasy as I now have two small children. However, with that being said - I have been to other islands that have much bigger negative reputations and have left the island with only feelings of love. So I am keeping hopeful....and with the excitement of discovering this lovely hotel's rebirth I am seriously considering it for January.

We will need to find places relatively close to eat...we will have these two small children with us so relatively child friendly would be important...and is there anything we could walk to from the hotel in an effort to avoid big expenses on taxi or rentals?

Thanks!!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

You would be restricted to dining at the hotel and in the immediate area. Walking off the "compound" is not an option, distance from the hotel and very steep roadway makes it near impossible.

A better option would be Orient Park. You have the benefit of prior experience and nknow the area.

There are quite a few restaurants and bars in Orient Village. Safari Grill (French), Ti Chi (Asian), Le Piment (pizza, casual dining), Cote Plage (French),Little Itale (pasta) Across the street is Paris Texas, a Tex/Mex place w/bar, and Tap 5 for pizza and other light meals. Le Cadre serves mostly tapas. Additionally right outside Orient complex on the main road is Rancho Del Sol for dinner and drinks.

In the Orient complex is also Cafe Plantation, and L'Astroble at the Esmeralda resort. They are both very good and more upscale.

Several beach bars have parties at night during high season - Waikiki, Budha Bar at Bikini, Kontiki and Boo Boo Jams, Aloha for lunch. Pedros for BBQ and more..

.There is an ATM located at the gas station in Grand Case on the main road down the hill from the police station as you are coming into town from Marigot and there is also one on the main road to Anse Marcel. Restaurants like tips to be paid in cash even when a credit card is used. It is a good idea to have some USD or Euro handy.

The village square is geared to families with children.

Some nice hotels steps off the beach are:

L'Hoste

Alamanda

Caraibes Beach Hotel

Caribbean Princess

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

The selection at the Radisson is limited. As a matter of fact there are only 3 or four that I am aware of. There is of course the Radison restaurants C le being one of them. Also, open for breakfast/lunch at the hotel is a nice eatery that has great view of the bay. Other than that there is Le Table du Marche at LeDomaine, Le Calypso at the marina adjoining the Radisson,, and a snack place in the shop area at the restaurant. If you want more you will have to make the steep nighttime trip over the ridge to either the french cul de sac or Grand Case. I hope this helps.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

Yes both of these do help - Thank you.

So for many reasons we are pretty set on the Radisson. We have stayed in the Orient Beach Village area previously (L'Hoste) with a young son...and although there were many conveniences...there was one major inconvenience for OUR family. The beach- I know it is sought after but for our little one...when we went the waves were crashing....there was little to no shade other than around the actual hotel and we were stunned by the number of chairs, umbrellas and people on the beach staying at the many hotels down the beach....it did not fit for OUR family. We went to Anse Marcel for a day and found the beach THERE perfect for our son....

We will be returning this year with our son as older and a new son - who will be the same age as our first was on our last trip to SXM. So we know that the odds are good Orient Beach wont work for us....

I am really hopeful for the Radisson - but am confounded by the food option. So if I may recap....as my understanding goes....

There are 3 maybe 4 restaurants at the hotel? There are restaurants at the hotel next door? And another at the adjoining marina...And the snack place confused me...but gave me hope - can you clarify....in the adjoining marina there is a snack area where Le Calypso is?

I am trying to imagine how often we could eat within walk distance to our hotel and how many times we may have to go up over the hill with 2 children and 4 adults. hmmm....and does anyone have an idea of cost of taxi to the Orient Beach village area please?

Phew?! Thank you all!!!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

Link to restaurant map/locator

http://www.sxm-restaurants.com/map.html

Sample taxi fares

stmartin-guide.info/getting.around/taxis/

Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

The Dutch side is much safer for you with your kids.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,384 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

I don't believe that statement has any truth to it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

oh oh I am getting very confused now.... help?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

Orient Park - safe upscale residential & commercial area - see my post above for description.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

Yes you are referring to the location of hotels such as L'Hoste correct? We have stayed there and although we adored the very conveniences you refer to - we found the beach and ocean were not at all child appropriate - or rather OUR child appropriate as we, with our Irish decent skin, are of the painfully fair skin...and our son is - err shall we say - pastey....with that it was a real challenge to stay on the beach as trees were at a minimum, the waves were crashing too much for our 18 month old (we will have a now 6 year old and 14 month old) and we found it insanely busy - on the other hand we were not bothered by the nudity as other people suggested....my son did not notice...

So although I have seriously considered this area for the safety and restaurant options I am confounded by the beach issue - and we are pretty passionate beach people - at least to have a beach where you don't have to sit nearly skin to skin with the person beside you - I am Canadian and I like my personal space - and the children need the shade...

But please - suggestions as the Alamanda did look appealing...have I misread the Orient beach?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining near Radisson Blu Beach?

Right next to Orient is Galion beach, perfect for your child, very calm. You can walk over from your hotel at Orient.

You can rent chairs/umbrella on Galion for shade.

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

Edited: 09 August 2010, 01:10
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Martin