We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

Which Saint-Martin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

My Ugandan friend has a visa from the Dutch embassy in Kampala, Uganda, for her visit to St. Martin, flying into SXM in January 2013. She will join me for two weeks at the condo where I am staying in Orient Bay. Does she also need a French visa to be on the French side? I know there are no border checks, but she'll be noticed as a younger black woman with an older white man. I figure the gendarmes are apt to ask her to identify herself. I've sent a query to the St. Martin tourism office.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

I hope your friend gets a clear answer to this. I think that the Dutch visa would be because she flies in and out of the Dutch side of the island. Let us know the final answer, and I hope she has a wonderful time. The caribbean bathtub is good for the soul.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

A younger black woman and an older white man will not raise an eyebrow here. Over 100 nationalities live on the island. I doubt you will be bothered.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

We're still waiting to know whether a French visa is required. In the meantime, she applying for a U.S. transit visa with a $170 fee to change planes at JFK. They sure make it tough for Africans. Perhaps other African travellers have poisoned the well by claiming asylum, even in transit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

Thank you, that's reassuring. We'd just like to have a good time and not get hassled.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,840 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

I am sure you know what you are doing, but might have been better for your friend to fly via Paris and then directly to St. Martin with AF. No need for US transit visa.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

Your suggestion makes sense – thanks. It never occurred to me as a Canadian that visas would be such an issue for my Ugandan friend to be able to join me in St. Martin. Too bad her ticket through JFK is non-refundable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

The U.S. embassy in Kampala refused to issue my Ugandan friend a transit visa to change planes at JFK for her flight to SXM. Rebooking through Paris will cost too much. Sadly, we've given up on being able to see each other in St. Martin.

I'll be at Mont Vernon with my daughter Jan. 1-10 and then on my own until the 23rd. Hope to meet some nice people.

Thanks to the kind folks who offered advice.

Lorne

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a wonderful time, regardless.

9. Re: Does African need both Dutch & French visas for St. Martin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:15