We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

Cottonwood Heights...
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

We plan to stay a few days at each location. Mainly go to beach and maybe walk to restaurants. Do we need to rent a car for either location or just depend on taxis? Also, how much is a typical daily/weekly car rental for compact car?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

Azure - Yes

Plantation - No - You can walk to the restaurants.

Rentals vary, season, type of vehicle, when are you going?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

Azure is right on the beach and a 10 minute walk to the great restaurants in Simpson Bay. I would not walk back late at night.

Cottonwood Heights...
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

We'll be at Azure Jan 17 for one week and La Plantation after that for a week. I would've thought that Azure would not need a car but La Plantation would. Maybe I need to rethink. We are an "elderly" couple and don't want to take any chances on safety. I appreciate your advice.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.…

--------------------------------

La Plantation is inside Orient Park, an upscale area of residental and rental properties. It's about a 10 minute walk over to the village square where many of the non-beach restaurants are situated. See the panorama above.

-------------------------------

Azure is on the beach but personally I would not like to walk those dark streets over to the main area where the restaurants are located. I don't even like walking them in daylight.

Cottonwood Heights...
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

Thanks for your replies. I have inquired about Hertz rental for an interm. car, for 1 week, and with taxes, cost is $344. My question, there is a Partial Damage paragraph. Does this mean that the $900. is against damage and is only a deposit?

"Partial Damage Waiver (PDW) is an optional service which, if accepted, reduces your financial liability for damage to the Hertz vehicle, its parts and accessories, provided the vehicle is used in accordance with the terms and conditions of the rental agreement. PDW includes Theft Protection (TP).

If PDW is declined, you will be responsible for the full amount of the replacement value of the vehicle in case of damage to, or loss of the vehicle during the rental.

Regardless of whether PDW is accepted or included, all rentals are subject to a deductible for which you are responsible in the event of damage to the Hertz vehicle during the rental – see table below.

Please note: a deposit will be held in your credit card upon arrival which will be the total estimated rental expenses plus the following amounts."

(The amount is $900 for an intermediate car.)

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

I also cautioned about walking in Simpson Bay Town after dark. But my dear 81 year old friend who stays a block away from Azure for a month walks in Simpson Bay daily.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

Check with your credit card company to see if they cover your rental car in full. Hertz covers you less the deductable for a fee while the cc cmpany if 100% coverage and no fee but you must decline the hertz waiver - the liability part is automatic with hertz sint maarten.

They place a temporary credit card "hold" that is released after the car is returned and no damage noted.

-----------------------------

Elaine

How far is it from Azure to the main road? We stayed at Mary's Boon one year and it was too far for us to walk to most restaurants. Tks.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

About a 3 minute walk. My friend, who I think you know, stayed about half way between Azure and MB. There's a little Chinese grocery steps away and you can be at the bridge in 10 minutes. Due to traffic in high season, we frequently park our car in the area and walk into Simpson Bay restaurant area. 8 minutes to Buccaneer! But beyond 9 pm, I would not do it just because it's so dark once you are off the main road for the last few minutes of the walk. It's a lovely residential area in "Old Simpson Bay Town".

9. Re: Is car necessary for Azure and La Plantation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:17