We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

Trying to determine the most economical route to rent a car for our 5 day visit. Hertz is quoting $170 but I believe that includes everything (taxes and insurance). I was also quoted $80 plus tax and $6 liability per day from one of the locals (Kenny's) While the local seems more economical, I'm not sure what the tax would be and it may turn out the same as Hertz. Not sure what the best option is. Ease of getting / returning the car is Important and so is one in good condition as we plan on doing a lot of exploring. Paying a few more dollars would be worth it.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

Hertz is a local company too. Locally owned and operated. There are airport concession charges along with the rental tax which is all included in your Hertz quote. Most of the companies are pretty close and remember you get what you pay for. Lately Kenny's hasn't allowed you to use a CC ( which will cover your collision ins ) and wants cash. So work that out if you go with him in advance to avoid any problems when you pick your car up

Might want to check out the trip report post today that included Kenneys rental.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 19:10
Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

Thanks SXM. You settled my dilemma and made the choice easy! Thanks

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

Glad I was able to help. Have a great trip.

Avon Lake, Ohio
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

I just received a quote from Seven Services for a Kia Picante for a week in June, does 235 for a week sound reasonable or should I look elsewhere?

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

My rental for a 5 passenger A/C Corolla in May through Hertz is 174.00 a week including liablity and all taxes & fees.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

SXM, Hertz said that pre-programmed GPS with points of interest is included with my rental. Do you know if that means I can't enter my own addresses I need directions for ? Thanks

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

Did you get that rate via Hertz web site, or did you contact them directly?

thanks

Avon Lake, Ohio
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

where did you rent from?

Marshall, MN
Level Contributor
26 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

I have rented from Kenny's Car Rental for years now and have never had a problem. In fact, he has been the best of the three I have rented from in the last 15 years. I stay with him because he takes good care of us when we get there, we stay for a month every year. I had a problem the one time I rented from Hertz and when I called the Hertz Headquarters in the USA, they said that Hertz in St. Martin was not affiliated with Hertz in the USA, so they couldn't help me either.

Kenny's charges to me every year on my credit card, so not sure why that comment was made.

Marshall, MN
Level Contributor
26 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tax Rate / Ease on Car Rental

Be careful about using a GPS system to get back to your villa via "home address". I always program my GPS for someplace close by as "home", in case someone steels the GPS out of your car. Having "home" (your real address) leads a crook right to your place. (that along with a garage door opener give them complete access). Program an address close to your place your staying, so at least you can get back to the area. Thieves like to target tourists because by the time they might catch the thief, your off the island. Just trying to help you be smart about GPS usage.

The last few years now St. Martin has had a lot better law enforcement presence than in the past, which has helped with the crime rate, for sure.