We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Which Saint-Martin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
Save Topic
Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Hi,

My husband and I will be going to St. Martin this December and want to stay on the French side. I decided Marigot probably isn't the best place to stay, so which area would any of you recommend? I would love to stay in Marigot because of it's "frenchness", but don't want to worry about crime.

We have never been to St. Martin, so we would appreciate any suggestions you have. We definitely want to be on the French side.

Thank you

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Orient beach - inside Orient Park, a upscale residential and commercial area of residences, hotels, and dining options - some nice places just steps off the beach - (see the photo)

======================

edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.…

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Thank you so much!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Grand Case is also a good place to stay. There is Le Petit on the beach (more upscale but lovely) or Grand Case Beach Club. Both are walking distance to great restaurants. I agree, I would not stay in Marigot.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
463 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Just returned from our 13th trip and the only way we have ever done it is renting a villa in Terres Basses. You will be surprised at the value you can get compared to other types of accomodations. Also, saw the recommendation here about Orient and though we have never rented there, it is certainly a good option. Terres Basses offers villas in walled compounds ...so extremely private. Orient tends to have everything closer together but it also offers other amenities like nearby dining that you need to drive to from Terres Basses. Finally, villas are negotiable so a few emails with your budget being offered may get you a special place to stay.

NJ
Level Contributor
235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

What type of nightlife are you looking for? That could be a factor in deciding where to stay.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
268 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Just got back from our 10 day trip I would stay at Grand Case Beach Club! So nice great service beach and resturant in property. You can also walk to the best restaurants on the island and totally safe!

Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

We had lots of fun in Orient over the past five days. Relatively quiet, close to restaurants, easy drive to Grand Case, and enjoyable whether you want to jet ski, kayak, or lay on the beach.

davenport, iowa
Level Contributor
189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

If you are looking for a variety of fantastic restaurants within walking distance, you should stay in Grand Case. We stayed there for three weeks during our last trip and absolutely loved it. With that said, we are staying at Orient next trip because we are the early to bed early to rise type and spend the majority of our time at the beach. We will more than likely eat a late lunch at a nice restaurant on the beach or drive into Grand Case for dinner. Not matter what you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

Yes, Grand Case Beach Club. Safe, unpretentious, quiet, You can stay at the club and relax or take a short drive to another busier beach, and conveniently walk to some of the best food in the Caribbean!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best part of "French" side to vacation??

I'm stuck--always stay in the Orient Beach area either renting a villa or staying at La Plantation decent rooms and free breakfast!. Drive to Grand Case for fancy dinners or just eat at the beach in Orient. Night clubs are over towards Phillipsberg maybe a 20-30 minute drive.I wouldn't stay in Marigot but it's a fun place to visit for lunch, shopping or just Hagen Das.Pretty much everything you might need is in Orient. Enjoy!