We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best mega resort in St. Martin

Which Saint-Martin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston, tx
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
best mega resort in St. Martin

we are going to St Martin in Feb. the first 2 nights are at La Semana or something like that. then to Eden Rock in St. Barts then back to St Martin for 4 more nights.

what is the best hotel to stay in with the best beach and best pool.... like a huge mega pool not a rectangular small one. I have that at home. I want fountains etc etc like you would see at a big resort.

also a beach w fine sand not coarse.

we are booked already at Sonesta Grand Bay all inclusive but I don't think it is going to be what I want....with their pool and coarse sand. but we would enjoy the shopping nearby.

considered Grand Case also but concerned it there is crime in that area.

there is another La Petite something but it has no pool.

also there are so many different areas.....which seems the nicest?

of course availability may be a problem.

thank you to all experienced travelers.

and we are 66 yrs no kids. no nightlife is not required. :)

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

sxm is not the island for "mega" resorts or pools. however, there are many excellent beaches across the island. because the island is easy to navigate many visitors travel to different beaches each day. most "mega" style resorts are AI. this island is known as the "gourmet capital of the Caribbean" so most travelers prefer to dine outside the resorts instead of AI so mega resorts really aren't the norm for most sxm travellers.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 23:07
Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

If the pool and beach are your primary criteria, the Riu in Anse Marcel has one of the top two pools on SXM (IMO) and a good beach as well - very calm water. The downside is it is relatively isolated from the rest of the island. And SXM is best experienced exploring.

After Eden Rock, you may find resorts on SXM not equaling that level of luxury.

Benicia, California
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

must be nice! Stick with La Samanna, no big pools on SXM, Riu is a good idea, Sonesta will be like trash to you, I think based off of the places you are already staying.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

Doesn't the Westin have a nice pool?

In fact, isn't the Westin probably the closest thing to a "mega resort" on SXM? Seems to me like the most "resorty" resorts were the Westin and Radisson Blu (which I think is something different now)

I stayed at the Atrium, which abuts Flamingo... and a few people remarked on the infinity pools at Flamingo.

Grand Case Beach Club doesn't have the pool (or if they do, I sure didn't notice), but don't let the "crime" in Grand Case deter you from checking this place out. GCBC is super nice, has a great beach, and is a 5 minute walk from the BEST eating on the island. There was a good bit of security on the streets in GC a couple of months ago, so I think the business owners have done a good deal to lower crime in the area. Just watch out for those dudes on scooters.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

GCBC does not have a huge mega pool , in fact just the opposite, I'm suer the OP will not like it one bit, a small , very small pool atop the restaurant accessed by steps thru a locked gate and little or no shade atop.

Best to stick with the big brand names, Westin , etc. As most places here are smaller properties.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 14:19
Caracas
Level Contributor
700 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

I think you choose the wrong island for what you want or something.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
240 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

I agree that the Westin at Dawn beach would be a good choice for the luxury of the pool but I don't recall fountains or waterfalls etc. You might find that more in Aruba or Puerto Rico.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

If you are looking for a mega resort with giant pool with fountains, SXM probably isn't the place for you. Maybe go to Vegas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

Or maybe rent this villa

stmartinblue.com/villa_detail.php?id=383

Worcester...
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best mega resort in St. Martin

Now THAT is a pool worth vacationing over...