We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Saigon to Vung Tau and return,

ror@tadaust.org.au
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Saigon to Vung Tau and return,

I will have limited time. Is this worth a day trip, as opposed to going to, say Cu Chi tunnels? if i get there, how easy is it to get around and see the sights. Are there sights to see or just a nice boat trip or could you just go there and back on the same boat. Where do I get a timetable? thanks Ruth

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,471 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Saigon to Vung Tau and return,

Hello Ruth49,

There are multiple daily departures of high speed boats between Saigon and Vung Tau and return and the trip is circa one hour and twenty minutes each way. Slightly less on a good day.

So,you can easily make a nice day trip and have a good relaxed stroll around and a nice lunch at Vung Tau before returning to Saigon/HCMC.

It's just so easy to do that this is what many from the city do anyway.

A quick Google search should throw up the current timetable.

Best regards. Ian

ror@tadaust.org.au
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Saigon to Vung Tau and return,

Thanks for your reply. I have contacted a travel agent who will do a hydrofoil return from saigon, picking up at hotel, then meet us with a private car in Vung tau and take us to the sights. Is this necessary, or is it easy to do it yourself as we want to go to Jesus monument and up a mountain and 2 or 3 places i cant remember. The trip is $88 US each, which seemed dear, but there are probably entrance fees and would have the car for about 4 hours and of course a guide. Do you think we need all thisor could we do it ourselves just hiring a taxi and I guess much cheaper. Again, I will only do it once so is it worth paying that big cost? Look forward to hearing from you

ror@tadaust.org.au
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Saigon to Vung Tau and return,

Reply above to Ian, or anyone else who can help me!!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Saigon to Vung Tau and return,

http://www.vinaexpress.com.vn/booking.aspx $10 each way.

The hydrofoil jetties are on the river front in District 1 (near the Majestic Hotel and not too far away from the tallest building in HCMC, Bitexco Financial tower - you can't miss it). Probably cost about $2 max for a taxi from the backpackers area. Whether $88 is excessive...hard to say. Vung Tau itself doesn't take long to get around but presumably you're going further afield while there.

Reply to: Travel from Saigon to Vung Tau and return,
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Xuyen