We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying water, snacks etc in Kendwa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Buying water, snacks etc in Kendwa

We are thinking of moving from Paje beach (East Zanzibar) to Kendwa as we want to be closer to better diving spots. I'm just trying to find out if there are any supermarkets or little stores that sell water at normal prices? I just hate paying 2.5 times a much for water!

Kendwa Community Tours & Safaris
Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Zanzibar Watersports
Parasailing & Paragliding, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying water, snacks etc in Kendwa

There is no Supermarket at Kendwa Village Area.

Is difficult to get a normal price when you locate to be at Beach property.This is possible in Stone or nearby town.

Will get a small Minishop closed to the entrance of Kendwa Rocks.But it ranges from Tsh:1,500 - 2000 for 1.5lt.The normal Price is Tsh:1,000.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying water, snacks etc in Kendwa

Great. Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case, just need to know as money needs to be brought in to all these places.

Finland
Level Contributor
218 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying water, snacks etc in Kendwa

I suggest to buy plenty of big bottles of water in your way from Paje to Kendwa, for example, stopping is some of the markets. There the price for case (6x1.5 L bottles) is about 3,700 Tsh. Buy also fruits. The prices are 2-4 times more in Kendwa. The closer you are to the beach, the more expensive it is.

Moroto, Uganda
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying water, snacks etc in Kendwa

There are plenty of small "supermarkets" along the road that runs behind the beach front hotels such as Sunset Bungalows and Kendwa Rocks. Water is about 500Tsh per litre - less in the bigger bottles. They sell all the essentials and you can get bread baked fresh from the Fishermens restaurant which is really yummy. Perhaps it is all a few shillings more than in Stonetown, but it is a short walk away. We brought such snacks for lunch and then ate at fishermens and various other restaurants - cheap and not so cheap in the evenings

5. Re: Buying water, snacks etc in Kendwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:13