We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
399 reviews
Save Topic
Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

Is it feasible to do a day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul? I assume this will not be doable by public bus, and I don't see any bus-tours offered from Campeche to Calakmul online. Therefore one will probably have to take a taxi, right? If so, how much would it cost to rent a taxi for the day to do this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

When I was in Campeche in September, I asked about such a tour. The guide who took us to Edzna does offer it, but I believe it is a really, really long day if you do it. The tour we used was Kankabiok tours, http://www.kankabiok.com and there is a contact form on their site.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,418 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

I would strongly advise against trying a daytrip to Calakmul from Campeche, although we very much enjoyed our visit there in October. It's a 3 hour drive from Campeche to the hwy intersection where the turnoff to Calakmul is located. Its another hour's drive down the narrow road to the site. While the site is facinating, it can also be brutally hot at midday. Couple that with 8 hours in a car and I think you get the general idea.

We stayed overnight at Rio Bec Dreams nearby and it was still 1.5 hours each way to the ruins.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

We did it a few years ago and yes it is a very long tiring day but we thought it was worth it!

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

We did not take a taxi. There are few travelagencies in Campeche. We just booked a day before we wanted to go.

Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

Thanks for all the advice folks ... looks like Calakmul is magnificent enough to merit a multi-day trip, so I will plan on doing it during a future visit. This time I am thinking of instead going to Edzna, since it is probably a much easier day-trip from Campeche...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

Edzna is fantastic. And really quite easy to do even in a half day. We took a tour with the tour guide I mentioned above (Alfredo from Kankabiok tours). He picked us up at the hotel and drove us out there, then waited two hours while we toured the ruins. We arrived early, and were really the only people there for much of our visit. The pyramid there is spectacular, though you can no longer climb it. Have a great trip!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

Roscislaw, please consider Calakmul as a whole-day trip - It's a remote location. And please plan to take a long, long walk by feet through the ecological zone itself.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

We took public transport to Edzna and back. You don't need a tour.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

I can understand the desire to use public transportation, I do so myself most times. In this case I read some of your posts before we went to Edzna and it wasn't terribly clear how to catch the return collectivo other than walking out to the road past the entrance, and hoping one would eventually come by. I recall you said you ended up getting a ride back from other visitors.

The day we toured Edzna it was 98 degrees plus humidity, a heat index of 115 degrees. Standing outside on the road hoping the collectivo may show up on time and might have room might be acceptable for some, in the end it was a risk we didn't care to take. We spent only $500 pesos (under $40 US) total to be driven there and back, without worry. Sometimes that is the better option. It also helps the area tour operators, who often have little business.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day-trip from Campeche to Calakmul?

Hi folks, Thanks a lot for the useful conversation. May I please know how much it is by public bus from Campeche to Calakmul? Do the buses operate the whole night? How about a taxi,how much is it? Is it safe to do night travel if one is arriving at night? Hope to do sometime soon.

Get answers to your questions about Campeche