We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campeche renovations

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Campeche renovations

I am reading a few comments which say that most of Campeche is under construction/renovation/destroyed! at the moment and consequently there is not much to see. Was planning to stop over here for a couple of days in about 8 weeks. Can anyone update me on the makeover?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campeche renovations

I can only say that a lot was torn up back in April. If you don't get an answer here, you might try e-mailing some of the hotels in the area.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campeche renovations

peter826, torn up in April? Do you mean the citys streets for example near the markado,? Is the main tourist area, in the Historical district, or areas near the water being torn up for sewers or water main work? There has been a 'freeze' on renovations to historical structures, ie; old hotels, municipal buildings, to accomodate a state designed effort at preservation. Perhaps this has finally come to some sort of agreement and renovations have started. When its said torn up what does this mean. I guess, could you expand on what you saw if possible?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campeche renovations

I have read reports that all the museums and tourist attractions are closed for revovation, and that much of the city is a construction zone. From March April 2014.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campeche renovations

Joanne, that sounds like not so much trouble. March to April, and that has passed of course. From my previous post you can probly tell I was thinking a much more extencive project. We should both look foreward to som sort of report from someone who has seen this disruption first hand. Maybe peter826?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campeche renovations

The area around the sea gate was all torn up and closed off. That meant that the nice little Mayan museum there was closed. In fact, all the baluartes and walls facing the sea were closed. It appeared to be part road project, part sewer project. The road into the centro from the bus station was torn up as well -- though it wasn't clear if that was all part of the same project or not. There were a couple of access points through the construction zone so you could get from the centro out to the malecon, but in many areas things were cordoned off.

If looking at a map, the area sandwiched between calle 8 and 16 de Septiembre, with baluarte San Carlos on one end, and Baluarte Santiago on the other was heavily restricted and/or off limits.

The Fuerte San Jose was closed for hvac renovations. The sign said "reopening in October 2013". It was still closed in April, 2014, though you could walk around the outside and enjoy it.

Fuerte San Miguel was open and no sign of any construction out that way.

There was significant signage around the area, but you can't find a thing online about these projects. That's why I suggested e-mailing one of the local hotels for up to date information, if no one here had it, a place like Hotel Castelmar would probably have an idea since they cater to a lot of tourists.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campeche renovations

peter826, thanks for the report, travelers everywhere need this sort of information to make decisions about where to stop and what to expect. Ive often stayed at the Hotel Reforma and it sounds like it would have had a balcony audio/visual of the construction so close to the Museo nearby, and probly have had to look for other accomodation.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campeche renovations

This article seems to indicate the work is not yet done:

expresocampeche.com/notas/…

No date seems to be given for completion.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campeche renovations

Any idea whether it will be completed by Febrero of 2015?

9. Re: Campeche renovations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2015, 01:16