We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ortisei, Santa Cristina or Selva with young children

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ortisei, Santa Cristina or Selva with young children

We have a 3 year old and 18 month old (plus 15 and 18 year olds) and would like to visit Val Gardena for a skiing holiday in January (we are Australians). I wanted to stay at Hotel Gronnes in Ortisei but have now found that the age appropriate child care for our younger children is based in Selva... I thought the idea of skiing in Val Gardena (we'll be there for a week) was to travel to the different villages and take cable cars from a different village to try out different slopes - is this what you do there? Or am I way off!? Are we better to pick a village and just ski from there. Is it that big a deal to be travelling the 8km or so from Ortisei to Selva to drop the kids first and then go on to ski? Any advice would be very welcomed! Thanks!

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ortisei, Santa Cristina or Selva with young children

Hi there,

if you want to stay in Ortisei, why not look at the Hotel Cavalino Bianco (http://www.cavallino-bianco.com/?lang=eng). It is a family hotel and although not cheap, they have all the childcare and services you might need (they're used to dealing with picky Italian parents!)

It is easy to get from Ortisei to Selva using the ski bus, but this can get crowded and I'm not sure I'd want to negotiate it every morning with two small children and ski gear. Driving is an option, and parking is available in an underground carpark about 100m away from the Miniclub in Selva.

As another alternative, there is the Post Hotel in St. Christina (familyhotelposta.com/en/…welcome.html) and the Biancaneve family hotel (http://www.biancaneve.it/eng/index.html) in Selva, which again offer childcare, or several good hotels in Selva which are within walking distance of the Miniclub.

To answer your other question, you can pick a village as a base and ski the whole of the Val Gardena (and if you wish the Dolomiti Superski area) from there. It depends on your skiing ability really. If you are in Selva then you are nearer to the Sella Ronda (the ski motorway taking you around the Sella Massif and into the other skiing valleys). Ortisei is a slightly larger village and great for beginners.

I hope this helps a bit

DD

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ortisei, Santa Cristina or Selva with young children

Thank you so much! That's great information. I will check out those hotels. Definitely not liking the idea of a packed bus and two little ones. I've just had an email from the Ski School in Selva saying it is about a 20 minute drive from Ortisei which as a one-off is not a problem but wouldn't be any fun doing it twice a day on a busy bus.

Sounds like Selva is a better place to base ourselves from a skiing perspective too - spoilt for choice, it's overwhelming!

You have helped a lot - thank you DD!

Alexandra

3. Re: Ortisei, Santa Cristina or Selva with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 06:21