We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Shanghai
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Hi,

Since it's very difficult to find rooms in Gardena during August, we have to take a day trip from Bolzano to Gardena. Is that possible for the following trip in one day?

Bolzano to Ortisei (by bus 170)

Return trip from Ortisei to Seceda (by cable car)

One way trip from Ortisei to Alpe di Siusi (by cable car)

Alpe di Siusi to Bolzano (by bus 170)

My another question is: Which town in Alpe di Siusi is the termination of the cable car from Ortisei? Castelrotto? Siusi? Fiè? Or other town? Because only in these towns, there is a bus going back to Bolzano (Bus 170). But I cannot find the temination town name on the cable car website.

Thanks in advance!

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Yes, it's possible, but start early. The Alpe di Suisi cable car does not arrive at a town. It simply goes high above Ortisei itself. It would be a long hot walk to anywhere up there to catch a bus back to Bolzano. You'd do better to do the return trip down to Ortisei and leave from there.

Just for your info Ortisei-Seceda-Ortisei costs 28 euros return. Ortisei-Alpe di Siusi-Ortisei 16 euros return. There are not many buses, plan carefully. Look at the 350 bus as well which is more direct and faster between Bolzano and Ortisei.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Hello,

You could go up the Mont Seuc lift from Ortisei, walk to Compatsch and catch the cable car down to Siusi/Seis. The walk is fairly easy and should take about an hour at most.

To fit in everything you want to do you'll need to set off early.

It seems strange that you are having trouble finding a room in the Val Gardena in August. There still seems to be a lot of availability around. Don't just rely on booking portals, try contacting some hotels or guest houses directly.

DD

Shanghai
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Thank you appia! But both return trips may be boring for us? I will check Bus 350, thanks a lot.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

DD is right. I was in Ortisei last week and hotels are complaining that they are not getting bookings for August due to the economic crisis here in Italy. It shouldn't be hard to find somewhere in the valley.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Btw you don't say how many "we" will be.

I mention it because I usually take a taxi between Bolzano and Ortisei, which saves a lot of time over hanging around waiting for the bus and the snail's pace of the bus itself.. The journey takes 30-40 minutes and costs 80 euros for up to 4 people. It may be worth thinking about at least one way.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Hi DD,

I cannot find the website of the cable car from Ortisei to Mont Seuc and from Compatsch to Siusi. Could you give the links of both? Thanks.

Is there clear trail guide along the walk from Mont Seuc to Compatsch? Normally in German, Italian or English in this area?

I checked Val-Gardena.net and some other local tourism website, no rooms with suitable price, only high level hotels which cost so much. I tried to send requests to the listed hosts of B&Bs, Garni from late May, but no replies.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

Hi appia,

We are 4 and your suggestion is quite good and it can save much time. Shall I book taxi in advance via phone call? Or we can catch it on the way?

I will check again with the budget hotels and some B&Bs in Ortisei, I think they might expect for the long stay of the guests during May and June, but we only have 2 days in Gardena. Fortunately we've found the rooms in Merano for 3 days, which was also difficult for booking, few replies from the hosts.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

It's slightly cheaper if you order an Ortisei taxi to come down to Bolzano to pick you up. But your plans would have to be very definite and I wouldn't order it more than a day in advance (there are plenty of taxi firms looking for business). If you left Bolzano at 8-ish or before you'd be in Val Gardena for when the cable cars start working at 8.30. Otherwise any Bolzano city taxi would take you up but you must agree the fare before you start..

Not wishing to advertise on TA I'll send you a PM with the details of my favourite taxi company in Ortisei.

9. Re: Day trip from Bolzano to Val Gardena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Val Gardena