We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help needed on planning a 3 day trip to Val Gardena

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
help needed on planning a 3 day trip to Val Gardena

Actually, we won't have 3 full days. My bf and I, we would like to make our first visit to the Dolomites later this month. We have sort of picked the Val Gardena valley, as we like the mountains with lush grassland.

The current plan is to drive from Munich, visit some small town(s) and stay somewhere in the valley on the first day, hike up the mountain and stay in a hutte on the second day, and do some light hiking or get down to the valley the third day then drive back to Munich in the evening.

The questions are,

1. Where to stay for the first night, considering we will start the hiking early the next day?

2. We won't need the car the second day and second night, where should we leave it?

3. Would anybody recommend a hiking route for the second day? We hike in the Bavaria Alps sometimes, and we are used to 6-7 hours hike, with elevation of 1000 m. No ropes please.

4. Somebody recommended Langkofel Hutte. It looks quite nice. This is something to consider when choosing the hiking route.

Any suggestions are welcome. We are still quite open. We like hiking, beautiful scenery, charming little towns, hotel/guesthouse with local characters, not so much into luxury hotels with sauna. Nice local food would be a plus.

Thanks in advance!

Xiaoling

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
190 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help needed on planning a 3 day trip to Val Gardena

Hi, I would stay in Ortisei/St. Ulrich, very nice little town plenty of very good hotels and restaurants of all categories. Most of the hotels have their own parking.

Hiking route: I don't know when you'll travel to Val Gardena, consider only that until the end of June it is easy to find snow on paths above 2.300/2.500 mt.

Anyway, there are hundreds of possibilities in the area, all paths are very well kept and marked. I can suggest you 3 routes, ropes are never needed:

1. from St. Ulrich you could hike to Rifugio Seceda (about 1200 mt. of elevation). On top, where Rifugio Seceda is located, you’ll find yourself immerse in an outstanding green environment with a lot of chances of light hiking and, furthermore, going back with lift

2. from Wolkenstein (15 min. of driving from Ortisei), you can go to Puez Hutte (about 900 mt.). The path starts climbing very slowly until about 2.000 mt. going through the whole Langental and then climbs steeper to the Puez Hutte (which I can recommend the cuisine). The nice thing in this case is that you can go back to the starting point following a completely different route that goes through the beautiful, wild, Val Chedul. And from Rifugio Puez you can also climb in about 1h. the Puez Mount (2.913 mt., 4/5 hours from Selva). Also in Wolkenstein there are lots of very nice hotels/restaurants.

3. about Langkopfelhutte, which is in a very wild and severe amphitheatre, you could hike to it from St. Christina (10 minutes from St. Ulrich), or you can go to Passo Sella and do the Langkopfel Tour, heading to Langkopfelhutte.

Hope it helps.

2. Re: help needed on planning a 3 day trip to Val Gardena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Val Gardena