We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
19 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

So, here I am- already wasted 1 day in Zermatt due to bad weather! :(

Tomorrow, 26th, I am reaching Celerina by Glacier Express and leaving on 28th at 12pm from StMoritz. Am planning to cover Corviglia on the 28th- if possible.

My question is, can I compensate for the loss in Zermatt- by covering both Corvatsch and Diavolezza on the 27th? If yes, please provide me a plan, with time. Do let me know whether there is any pass that can economize my journey. I am here with family, have the Flexi Pass and not into skiing. Just need to do:

Celerina-Corvatsch

Corvatsch-Diavolezza

Diavolezza-Celerina

If there is anything better, do not hesitate to suggest.

Please, please respond by tomorrow.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,547 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

Hi there,

Staying in Sankt we spent about 3 hours doing the Corvatsch system to the top and back then about 1 hour to Diavolezza station (but we were lucky not needing to wait long for a train) and Diavolezza in 2 hours, of which more than 1 hour at the top. But for Diavolezza we felt that to be a bit too rushed, would easily have spent another hour or so there walking the icy glacier paths; it's less compact than Corvatsch summit. So yes what you want can be done but do add the Celerina-caused transfers also. We were in summer and had the free local sightspass supplied by the hotel, can't help with your exact fare questions.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

Well, I doubt you will arrive by Glacier Express today, as the line is interrupted due to avanlanche danger. Also here in Engadin St. Moritz we have haevy snowfall since yesterday and most of the mountain cablecars are closed. There is an extreme avanlanche danger also here.

ErikdR gave you his opinion based on his SUMMER experience - this is however completely different from winter. Expect a lot of people on the public transport system, especially during top-season as the Christmas-New Year holidays, so calculate much more time for your transfers and be aware that there are lots of skiers with equipment in the buses and trains, so it takes longer to bord and debord them. Then the summer special he mentions obviously is not available in winter. However, many hotels will offer you a winter special with two or more nights, including a ski pass for only CHF 25.00 per day for the whole duration of your stay …stmoritz.ch/winter/en/skipass-inclusive/ - this is a good offer even if you are not skiing, as only the return ticket for non-skiers to Diavolezza is already CHF 33.00.

I think, while doable, your itinerary is rushed and you will not have a lot of fun or beautiful memories of such a day. IMO it would bring you much more to take it relaxed and really enjoy the area. You dont necessarily have to get up on each and every peak, especially not if you don't plan to ski it down. The area in itself is beautiful and there are so many option without being on the top.

With your so strongly limited time, I would suggest you plan for one summit at the most.Tomorrow 27th the forecast is for a beautifully sunny day with a lot of fresh snow. Hopefully the cablecars will be running again but with colder temperatures the situation should improve. If Diavolezza (the train line to get there as well as the cablecar) are open, I would suggest you get there early in the morning, before the skiers get there. Enjoy the views and have a coffee on the terrasse or in the panorama restaurant. The hikes mentioned by ErikdR are summer activities, so you will be limited to the area around the restaurant only in winter (or you could have a hot tube experience all surrounded by snow and skiers (and other guests) - but the panorama up there is beautiful. Then get down and take the train (this is the Bernina line, used also by the famous Bernina Express) back to Morteratsch, where you get off at the isolated small train station. There is an easy and well groomed hike into the valley towards the glacier. It's beautiful (however it can get crowded as well during this time of year, as part of it is used by cross country skiers as well) and you can get all the way to the glacier. On you return, there is a restaurant at the train station with a sunny terrasse for your lunch. You could then hike to Pontresina or - if you have the pass - even consider taking the train and getting up to Muottas Muragl where you have a perfect view over the lake plateau and the mountains. Muottas Muragl is the only mountain cable car running late, as it is a beautiful location for dinner with a view. During this time of year however make sure you have a reservation to really get a table with a view. While it is not cheap, it is worth it anyway. This would certainly be a memorable day.

With your 12.00 departure on Saturday, I would first have a look at the weather forecast and not plan too much. From Celerina, there are nice winter hikes through the forest - really winter wonderland, e.g. to Lake Staz http://www.lejdastaz.ch/en.html. I dont know where you plan to go from here, but eventually a later departure time would allow you to have lunch there and enjoy the view.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 09:20
Paris, France
Level Contributor
19 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

ErikdR and Engadiner, I don't have words to express gratitude- thank you very much!

Engadiner,

Yes, we got ditched by Glacier Express at StNiklaus and reached Celerina (our hotel) via Bern, Zurich, Landquart, Sagleins and Samedan! My wife wanted to see snowy Switzerlnd and I am sure she had it today. :)

Anyway, not deviating further, I would stick to Diavolezza in the morning tomorrow, although not sure whether that would be before the skiers! Depending on the experience there, we would either go to Corvatsch or as you suggested. Might be Corviglia as well.

My hotel is not listed as an approved one to issue a reduced ski-pass, so I would check in the information center here in Celerina on the best pass.

Oh yes, I am travelling to Lugano on 28th by bus.

Please wish me luck- which Iam sure you all always do!

Edited: 26 December 2013, 20:29
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

You seem to be out of luck with your excursions as Diavolezza is still closed today for avalange danger and the top of Corviglia, Piz Nair, is closed due to strong winds as well as the top section of Corvatsch for avalange danger as well. However you are compensated for this by a wonderfull sunny winter day with lots of fresh snow - a truely unique picture option today with the big snowload on the trees and the bright blue sky. I am sure your wife has a memorable impression of snowy Switzerland. So give it a try and do some winter hiking or even better, go with a horsedrawn sledge/carriage into one of the valleys - your kids will love it! Have a nice cheese fondue somewhere (the coachman will wait for you) and then go back to the sledge, get under the covers and enjoy this wonderful day. At the end of it, you could walk over the icecovered lake and perhaps a mulled wine on one of the food stands (or a glass of Champagne if you prefer this). Enjoy yourself! I hope for you that tomorrow the Bernina line will be open again - I think with the cold front we have now and the low temperatures, the situation will improve.

Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

The RhB is running again on all lines again, and the cable car to Diavolezza as well. However, most slopes are closed, though some slopes are opening as well.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 10:42
6. Re: Diavolezza & Corvatsch in same day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Engadin St. Moritz