We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

Meath, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

I was hoping for some help in planning an itinerary. I will be leaving mennagio on 11th May and arriving in Venice 15th May. I intend to drive towards St. Moritz via bregaglia valley and maybe stay a night in this area before driving bernina pass to Tirano onward to Bolzano.

My questions are- Are these passes likely to be open (I know no one can predict the weather exactly).

What is a good place to stay- My preference is for countryside views & scenery rather than built up large towns.

Also I would appreciate recommendations of driving routes if the ones I suggest above are not good choices for this period of time. My travel dates are set already.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

Passes should be open in May, however check before you drive …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/strassenzustand/

You will have a problem finding a large town, there aren't any of them in this area. As for hotels, check on www.engadin.stmoritz.ch on the online.booking tool what is open during this period, as this is off-season so the choice will be limited. There is however always a good choice year-round.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 13:22
Meath, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

Thank you engadiner. Your reply is a help as are your answers to other questions on the forum.

Are there any cable cars open to give mountain top views at this time (early May).

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

Unfortunately most of the cablecars are closed for maintenance this period, as this is low season and they shall re-open sometime second half of June again for the summer season.. However Diavolezza - a perfect high mountain experience - will be open and running. Also Corvatsch will be open until May 4 this year. If you stay for two or more nights in a hotel, starting from May 1st, also this year most of them will offer you a complimentary pass for mountain cablecars, some for the whole local transport, which is a good deal if you want to visit Diavolezza e.g. (CHF 33.00 per person otherwise) and hotel prizes are low during this time of year. See …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ for details.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 07:59
Meath, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

Thank you for your help endgadiner. I visited the area as planned and loved it. Taking advice from other forum posts and those above I based in Soglio touring by car after that. The area of Soglio is lovely and both the Bregaglia and Bernina areas have good scenery. http://pix.ie/jonniebgood1/3579368/size/800 The wildflowers were starting to come out in the meadows.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

Thank you jonnie for reporting back. I am glad you enjoyed it and the photos are really nice. You should see how it is at the moment. The whole Upper Engadin is in flowers, yellow medows and blue gentianas. Only the highest point of the Bernina pass is still in snow and the lakes there are still frozen. It is a beautiful time and with the warm weather this weekend ideal for hiking. A week from now, almost all the mountain cablecars will be open.

6. Re: Engadin/ St. Moritz in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:15