We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What things to do?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What things to do?

It seems there is very limited information about Sluis. Does anyone provide some tips and advice for a day trip to here? Is it worth to go? What you can see?

27 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What things to do?

It's a pretty but small village. I wouldn't go there as a daytrip, but combine it with other nearby destinations. It would be a good stop in between Bruges and Middelburg.

There is also a very famous restaurant, Oud Sluis, with three Michelin Stars. But very expensive and you probably have to reserve months in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,135 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What things to do?

The beaches near Cadzand are great, esp. on a sunny day; not necessarily a hot day, beach and dune walks are great too! Just a short ride from Sluis...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What things to do?

Thank you for your advice and information.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What things to do?

Hi,

I realise I'm extremely late, I see you posted this in March, but I wonder if you still need some info on Sluis. I live there and I have experience in the tourism industry in Sluis, so I can give you more tips on things to see and do.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Sioux Falls, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What things to do?

Sabrina,

I saw your post and I am going to be traveling to Sluis to visit family. I was wondering what would be the most affordable accommodations. I will be with my husband and my father and my aunt. Three bedrooms would be great but we could get by with two if there are single beds. We plan to visit in May and stay for two weeks.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,

Dana

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What things to do?

If you do a google search on "vakantiehuis sluis" you will find many holiday rentals, which are usually rented per week. Price should be reasonable if you book outside the school holidays (in may there is usually a may vacation)

Edited: 04 November 2011, 08:00
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What things to do?

Hello Dana,

You can use the following website to find suitable accommodation:

http://www.vvvzeeland.nl/en/home

it's the tourist office website of the entire province.

Go to:

* Plan your trip

* Accommodation

* choose whatever you prefer

The region is: West-Zeeuws Vlaanderen

The place is obviously Sluis.

There are only 4 hotels in the village of Sluis and 1 camping.

- Le Provencal **

- Sanders de Pauw ***

- Gasthof D'Ouwe Schuure *** (about 1 km from Sluis city center)

- De Dikke van Dale ****

- Camping De Meidoorn

The community of Sluis is larger and includes villages like Cadzand, Aardenburg, Oostburg, Breskens, Groede, Zuidzande, Schoondijke, IJzendijke....

If you search on region you will find accommodation in the entire community and you'll get a wider choice.

Here are the contact details of the tourist office in Sluis:

St. Annastraat 15

4524 JB SLUIS

Tel. 0031 117 - 46 17 00

Fax:0031 117 - 46 26 84

sluis@vvvzvl.nl

www.vvvzvl.nl

Hopefully this is useful information.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Brussels
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What things to do?

Sluis is a quaint little town, still surrounded by its old city walls (now a perimeter for walking/cycling). A surprising amount of nice shops, and a little "harbor" (?) where it seems that paddle boats appear during nice weather. Worth a brief visit, and it seems to attract visitors (hotels were full when we tried to book on the spot). Perhaps also because it is close to Cadzand, a pleasant beach town.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What things to do?

The "harbor" as it is today wasn't really supposed to exist. Napoleon wanted to dig on and reach the North Sea, but as you can now see that never happened :)

Sluis used to be a very important port, enjoying an open connection with the North Sea.

This is a very famous map of Bruges, Damme and Sluis, made in 1562

kalden.home.xs4all.nl/verm/tour-k-brugge.html

(scroll down, about half way down). Sluis is on the left side.

And here is Sluis, a detail on the map:

http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=sluis+marcus+gerard+kaart&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=oS2f8QznhTe2DM:&imgrefurl=http://www.zwartzusters-bethel-brugge.be/oostende.html&docid=0gNwcWp1dAK9BM&imgurl=http://www.zwartzusters-bethel-brugge.be/bethel133.jpg&w=550&h=372&ei=RjJST5XGCoTG0QWro7DVCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=413&vpy=174&dur=519&hovh=185&hovw=273&tx=173&ty=54&sig=109421949416793994735&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=206&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1563&bih=718

Info on the canal Brugge - Sluis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damme_Canal

Sabrina

Brugge...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What things to do?

Sluis is basically an open air shopping center and a gigantic tourist trap. There is nothing typical any more about it, just a collection of old fashioned clothes shops and restaurants. On rainy days and sundays it's overcrowded because everybody on the Belgian coast goes there to pass the time. It's very hard to park, parking lots are expensive and the fines are sky high. People in restaurants and shops have seen too much customers and are generally unfriendly. Better spend your money and time in Bruges.

Reply to: What things to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sluis