We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Manzanillo and area?

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Manzanillo and area?

Hi we are heading down there for 5 days in Apr. We are not big party people, laid back, and want a safe place to go. After reading some of the reviews on the surrounding towns about safety, just wondering?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How safe is Manzanillo and area?

I agree about the walk from Punta Uva up to Manzanillo. It is awesome. I saw 3 troops of Howler Monkeys, A group of 15+ hanging birds nests (orpendola sp), 2 sloths and countless birds. Others I met in Manzanillo did not see any of that on the ride up in their rental car. I felt safe on the main road in spite of a rash of muggings

and at least 2 home invasions while I was in the area. After several warnings I left anything of value in the lodging and also beach bag etc. I carried what cash I needed and anything else (camera, sunscreen) in a cheap plastic grocery bag to avoid the look that I was worth mugging ;-) Residentts cautioned me not to walk alone after dark so I took a cab! It's easy to take the local bus a couple of times a day down to PV if you don't want a rental car. Don't need one in Manzanillo really. I loved Maxi's and Soda Mima. Def use a guide if you go into the reserve there. You'll be safer and also see much more than you would on your own.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 20:17
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How safe is Manzanillo and area?

How awful, Jonnyboy! So sorry to hear of your terible experience as Manzanillo and the surrounding area is so incredibly beautiful and usually so quiet -a main point of its appeal. I do hope that your police report will lead to positive results.

13. Re: How safe is Manzanillo and area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2017, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo