We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

Hi Wonderful TA People!

I am a planner normally but life has been out of control for months and now this wonderful trip is upon me (us - my 12 year old daughter will be my main travel companion) and I am scrambling to get a basic trip plan together ASAP. My husband will be working in Mitterfels/Straubing (he's been gone 2 weeks already - first Honk Kong and now he's litterally in the air as I type this to Lyon France. Next stop - Straubing). My daughter and I catch up to him in Lyon and then we all go to Straubing, but as he'll be working crazy, daughter and I are on our own to sight see. It's going to be great, I know it! We fly out Thursday to Lyon. Yikes.

I have done some research and have found Regensburg, Passau, and Landshut to be places to visit. I have just emailed the appropriate tourist offices asking for tour info (walking tours, etc.) And hope to get responses in a few day. I plan on spending a full day in each of the above towns. I do have links saved for each town although less on Landshut so if anyone has tips for Landshut, I really love to hear them.

What other towns should we visit? I will have a rental car and anything within 1-2 hours one way that is 'worth the drive'. I am open to.

I also have a link to the National Park by Deggendorf (seems closest entrance to Mitterfels?). Can someone give me an idea of what a day trip might look like here? Is it scenic drives, hiking, what?

I also read a day trip suggestion on a thread here about going to Schaerding, Austria (it took me awhile to figure out Schaerding isn't in Germany!). I will visit the Austria TA Forum next to research info, but if anyone here has anything to say, I'd love to hear it. The town website is all in German so I can't read it.

Basically I feel I have a few days covered, with enough info that when I get to the towns I won't be wandering around too lost, wasting precious time. But any and all help for other places to visit and things to do, would be so wonderful.

Thank you in advance for helping me!

Jayne

13 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

Landshut brochure

landshut.de/uploads/media/Landshut_im_Ueberb…

Near Regensburg: Danube Gorge and Weltenburg Abbey

www.klosterschenke-weltenburg.de/index.php…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tycQCRqcYg4

Straubing itself is also a nice town with a number of sights

straubing.de/de/…

Mitterfels as well (a bit in English)

…mitterfels-online.de/joomla/index.php/mitte…

Bavarian Forest National Park has quite a lot of info in English

nationalpark-bayerischer-wald.de/english/ind…

Bavarian Forest Tourism

http://www.bayerischer-wald.de/?changelang=6

Edited: 10 September 2011, 21:21
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

Another park you might consider is the Altmuehltal Nature Park, about 150 km west of Straubing. The city at the center of the Altmuehltal Park is Eichstaett, a pretty town along a very famous bike route. You can rent bikes in town and ride along the river, on the bike path, where every so often you will even find old Roman forts. This park is famous for its fossils, and there is even a quarry where you can rent equipment and hunt for your own fossils. It's surprisingly fun and in an hour or so my 11-year-old found quite a few good fern fossils. Here is a link. european-traveler.com/germany/…

Also about 150 km away, but south of Straubing, is Berchtesgaden, a national park in the Alps. It is beautiful, with high mountains and lakes. Nearby are salt mines which can be toured, again surprisingly entertaining. berchtesgaden.de/en/salt-mine-berchtesgaden

Edited: 10 September 2011, 21:45
West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

Thanks for the quick replies! iam already tracking the info down.

A few questions re: Landshut. I am reading the brichue out of the link. I don't understand the hours info for St. Martin's Church and for their Treasury. Is the Treasury only open to vistors the first Sunday of the month?? And the church is open every day but closed between 10:30am and 3pm... so have to go first in the morning or in the afternoon? I am not sure if the M/F next to the clsoed times designation means Monday THRU Friday or ONLY on Monday AND Friday...?

The town's weekly market is on Friday. I can arrange to go on that day (I had Regensburg but that was just what I randomly picked first. I can arrange visits to coincide with any special events in a specific town) if anyone feels the market is a fun thing to do...?

And what is this Royal Wedding performance thing all about, please?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

St. Martin Landshut

open daily 07:30 - 18:30

closed Mondays and Fridays 10:00 - ~ 15:30 for cleaning

> Is the Treasury only open to vistors the first Sunday of the month??

Yes. Or with a guided tour on request.

> if anyone feels the market is a fun thing to do...?

To stroll over one is fur sure interesting. But xou can find such markets also at other cities and towns.

Passau Tu and Fr 7am - 12am

Regensburg Sa 7am - 12 am

> And what is this Royal Wedding performance thing all about, please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landshut_Wedding

www.landshuter-hochzeit.de/en/home.html

next one is 28 June - 21 July 2013

(one has to sort out tickets and accommodation well in advance)

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

Perfect. Thank you again. I feel in decent shape to tackle Landshut now :>)

I will try to find an email addy so I can request a Treasury tour... all they can do is say 'no' after all.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

Just wanted to add, for anyone else searhcing in the future, I did find self-guided walking tour info on LonelyPlanet's website for Landshut, Passau, and Regensburg. Landshut only has 3 things listed but it's a start!

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

I just enailed off the request (found the addy at the bottom of the brochure) for the Treasury. I will post what the response is.

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

If you've only got a day to spend in the Bavarian Forest (Bayerischerwald Nationalpark) I would either head for the Nationalpark Infozentrum Lusen at Neuschonau. There is a treetopwalkway (http://www.baumwipfelpfad.by/bwp_en/index.ph) with fantastic views over the forest, Native species animal enclosures (nationalpark-bayerischer-wald.de/english/bes…) and visitor centre. Car parking costs max. 5 Euros per day. Alternatively head for the Grosser Arber area. the Grosser Arber is the highest mountain in the Bavarian Forest). http://www.arber.de/home.html?Itemid=152 . Take the cable car to the summit and visit the lakes, Grosser Arbersee and Kleiner Arbersee. Both can be walked to via hiking routes from the summit.

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

Schaerding is lovely, but possibly not worth a trip on its own. If you can fit it in, I would combine it with a trip to Passau. http://english.passau.de/Home.aspx . Passau old town is delightful, situated on a spit of land where the rivers Danube, Inn and Ilz meet. The Cathedral interior is "over the top" Baroque. Take a 45 minute boat trip around the old town for a different perspective. or just take the riverside walk around the old town. A good viewpoint is from the monastery above the Innstadt. From here, the view takes in both the inn and Danube rivers, the old town skyline and the castle on the far-side of the Danube. It's well worth the uphill hike. If you are in Passau before the 18th September, you could take in the Herbstdult (beer festival). http://www.passauer-dult.de/

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!

I appreciate the continued suggestions! I have gone from 'what the heck am I going to do?!" to "How can I fit it all in?!" - LOL! I much prefer the latter.

I will definitely go to Passau first and if there seems time, go on to Schaerding. They are relatvely close per the driving maps. Or catch a boat to get from one to the other, leaving the rental car in Passau for the afternoon. I can make that call once I am 'on the ground'.

I am right now searching down info on the fossil hunting - that sounds right up our alley! I think it would be very cool to bring a small one home, that daughter and I found, as a keepsake. Love it!

The forest adventure thing is more in my husband's interests but poor guy will be working his tail off. Daughter and I love that stuff too, but somehow that kind of trip is better when husband is along. Ok, ok, it's because daughter and I are willing to give up a hike after the first steep hill and husband keeps us going - LOL! It's also very probably that husband will be going back again (he's already been once) and I keep these suggestions for him when he's there on his own - so thanks!

Reply to: Looking for Some Serious Help! Trip in a Week!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upper Palatinate
Recent Conversations
More Upper Palatinate Topics