We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein

Following a rather 5-day seminar in Vienna, I am thinking of booking a few days respite in the area around Bayerisch Eisenstein, which has some family connections (a few generations back). I'm looking for some pleasant walks, not major hiking, as I won't have proper gear for that, as well as possibly a train trip into the Czech Republic. I am still moderately fluent in German, though I read it more than I speak it these days.

I'll be traveling in late June 2014. Any suggestions from locals or those who have visited in this region?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited: 19 October 2013, 19:25
5 replies to this topic
Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein

Updating my own post:

I reviewed some older posts on TA and found a few which were very helpful:

There is a special train tour which departs Bayerisch Eisenstein as well as several other nearby Bavarian towns, going to Klatovy and Klattau, Czech Republic ( Wednesdays only). Tour includes a luncheon in Klatovy. Website in German is www.boehmerwaldcourier.de

For short hikes, WanderPark appears to be nearby. Also, I am looking at several hotel-pensions, and the Eisensteiner Hof looks like a very good possibility.

Happy travels, LM

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,838 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein

Bayerisch Eisenstein

www.bayerisch-eisenstein.de/index.php?lang=en

Grosser Arber (mountain)

http://www.arber.de/home.html?Itemid=152

Bavarian Forest National Park

nationalpark-bayerischer-wald.de/english/ind…

On transport:

When staying in Bayerisch Eisenstein you'll get automatically a GUTi guest card which gives free public transport in the area shown on the below map.

bayerwald-ticket.com/files/smfiledata/6/0/8/…

Not covered is the "Tarifgebiet PLUS" (Deggendorf, Plattling). And the lines shown in grey.

And you can also start from Bayrisch Eisenstein straight on Czech ticket offers into the Czech Republic as the border runs straight through the train station.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayerisch_Eisenstein_sta…

Edited: 20 October 2013, 16:51
Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein

Vielen Dank, Abalada!

Your posts about train travel in Germany have helped keep me up-to-date on the many changes and special offers available on Deutsche Bahn. I have used your posts to others many times in order to make the best use of trains, mostly in Germany but in connections to other countries, too.

It is the primary way I have traveled in Europe over many many years, and I look forward to next year's trip to Bavaria after my stay in Vienna..

Bayerisch...
Level Contributor
129 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein

You have made an excellent choice. Bayerisch Eisenstein is easy to get to from Vienna - get off the train from Vienna in Plattling and take the Waldbahn to BE on the Czech border. When you get there, it is a lovely village surrounded by forest with well marked walks and plenty of restaurants, Our guests have 6 binders with different sorts of walks including numerous walks to places for lunch and coffee. I'm sure most owners can give you this advice although not always written out in English! Enjoy.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein

To Margaret B--The more I learn about the region, the more I am looking forward to my visit. My father's people emigrated from nearby (their village would have been in what is now Czech Republic).

Edited: 22 October 2013, 01:14
Reply to: In & Around Bayerisch Eisenstein
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upper Palatinate
Recent Conversations