We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

Christchurch...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

Hi

I'm going to Vietnam in September. My husband and I will be staying in Dalat for several days and are thinking of heading to Cat Tien National park for 2 of the days.

Is it worth it?

How difficult is it to get there?

What is recommended for accommodation?

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
København, Denmark
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

My experience of the Cat Tien National Park is that it is a truly wild place and you can see many animals in the wild, but spend at least two full days there. They have many good hikes as far as I could see on the home page. Just be aware that there is no dormitories available even though it states so on their home page because they told me they were broken. But as far as I could see it was because a work crew was living in the buildings. So currently they will offer you a house for 24 dollars per night…

I had myself rather bad experience with the staff in the reception who I didn’t feel was particular service minded at all. I wanted some information about housing, transportation, what you could do in the park ect. But I guess I asked too many questions to them even though it is their job. It developed into that the three ladies working in the reception openly sniggering, eyeing each other and talk about me in Vietnamese every time I entered the reception. But when it came to the money they were very keen on providing services they could get money for but when it came to guiding on as a guest around the park they were very unhelpful I felt during my whole stay. So I ended up leaving before time…

Also about the Gibbon Valley Trek I will say that at least for me it wasn’t worth the 60 dollars at all. The ranger I was with was really good and kind and did everything he could do to ensure that I could see the gibbons and hear them sing. The ranger succeed in spotting a couple but I could not see them through the binoculars and ended up seeing nothing. Basically I was told to go back to the hammock and so I slept in the forest for 60 dollars. The ranger really did what he could to spot them but they didn’t come back and the funny thing was when I walked back to get breakfast then I heard them sing for free…Just be aware you might pay a lot of money and getting very little out of it. To visit the monkey center was a good experience which also is included in the package and was very inspiring to hear about the center and the good work they are doing. Also you can see how the gibbons really are moving around in the cage very fast and hear them sing (At least they did that when we were there)  But I think one can go to the monkey center themselves you don’t need the gibbon valley trek for that…

12. Re: Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 10:05

Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

We read a lot of negative reviews that almost put us off visiting the park but I'm so glad we ignored them.

I've just visited with my girlfriend and although I agree with some of your comments I had a very different experience.

The park itself doesn't have the most modern facilities and it isn't brilliantly organised. But it is peaceful, relaxing and full of nature. We saw gibbons, monkeys, snakes, frogs, lizards, crocodiles and lots of birds.

We did the gibbon tour and stayed overnight in the park. If in doubt about the room type I suggest you get the more expensive room at 900 rather than 580 because ours was clean and absolutely fine.

If you're not doing the gibbon tour I suggest staying at Green Hope Lodge with Luan and his family. It's faultless! If you're in doubt about anything before you go email Luan as he's really helpful and gave us a lot of advice.

If you're interested in the early morning gibbon tour do it, but be prepared as you will not be laid back in a hammock with gibbons frolicking around you. You'll be chasing through the forest behind them as they swing from the top of the trees. Expect scratches and a sore neck but it's worth it.

Visit the primate centre because the work they are doing there is very important and you'll see and hear the gibbons which is quite an experience.

Take a walk to the crocodile lake. If you bike to the entrance of the trail opt for a mountain bike because the smooth road gives way to a stony track. We did the bike and walk in about 4.5 hours with a half hour stop at the lake. Take plenty of water in case they don't have any.

We nearly didn't visit the park due to these negative reviews but as it was we didn't want to leave! It's great, if you like nature and the outdoors, and go with an open mind about the facilities, you'll love it!

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

It will be wet and buggy in September. We stayed there last night in the park bungalows, and with the ain con found it very comfortable. There will be tiny leeches in September so you may want leech socks that go over shoes and over pants. We are birders and saw about 60 species in one afternoon and a morning. A driver took us from Saigon to the ferry, then we went over to the park. Dakar is close, so you should be able to find a car. There are two places to eat in the park, not gourmet, very basic. You can walk on a long road or go on trails in the jungle. You can book a night wildlife tour, but they do not see much. We saw during the day a gibbon family, monkeys, tree shrew and mongoose. There are civeta as well. There us also the trek to crocodile lake, 14 km one way, or rent a car for 25 to drop you off and pick you up, cutting out 9 km

Edited: 03 February 2016, 09:47
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

All buses between Dalat and HCMC (every 30 minutes) pass the junction Vuon Quoc Gia Cat Tien on Hwy 20 for the park. The junction is around four hours' travel (190,000d to 200,000d) from both cities. From this junction, you can hire a xe om (around 170,000d, but negotiate very hard) to cover the remaining 24km to the park. Lodges can also arrange a transfer to/from the main road.

16. Re: Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 January 2017, 15:13

Reply to: Is Cat Tien national park worth the visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cat Tien National Park