We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olive Oil & Car Hire

newmarket suffolk
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Olive Oil & Car Hire

I usually stock up on Olive oil to bring home at the airport, but I have only been in & out of Herraklion before, can anyone tell me if there is a selection of oil, honey etc at Chania airport please,as we only take hand luggage this really is our only option to take some home.

On the subject of car hire, has anyone used Auto Kappa ? they have given me a reasonable price to drop off a car at our hotel in Chania town & for us to return to the airport.

We are going the first week in October, & after a night in Chania,intend to head to Paleochora where we will probably stay.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
653 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olive Oil & Car Hire

Auto Kappa has good offers, but haven't used them.

There is a selcetion of olive oil at the airport, my advice is to buy 'Extra virgin olive oil', if its marked 'cold press' or 'cold extraction', it has a greater nutritional value (those who aren't, the olives are washed with hot water in the oil press, to take out the most of their oil, but the hot water destroys the vitamins and nutritional value of olive oil), and also check the acidity level, make sure its not more than 1%. The acidity level identifies how old is the olive oil. The ideal acidity is 0.3-0.7%

For more info check www.internationaloliveoil.org and www.cretan-nutrition.gr

About honey, Thyme honey is the usual Cretan variety.

Have a nice day and enjoy Crete!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olive Oil & Car Hire

I'm sure your tip is now in the past, but am writing this for the benefit of future travelers. We recently used Auto-Kappa during a trip to the Chania area. It was a mixed experience. They were very good at getting back to emails before the trip. We needed a 6-seater and they assured me that they had a car with that capacity. Their representative showed up on time at our hotel, as agreed. However, when we got to the car, it turned out that the third row had been removed, and the car only seated 5. This was a bit annoying as we had specifically pointed out before hand that we needed a car for 6. They fixed the problem, but it took quite a bit longer than the "1 hour" they promised us. They told us at pick up that the car had 1/4 tank of gas. A bit odd, at least from a U.S. perspective. What was worse, when we started driving we quickly realized it was quite a bit less than 1/4 tank. After that everything was smooth sailing until the day we were supposed to return the car. It specically said 19:00 (7 p.m.) in the contract, yet at noon I get a call from Auto-Kappa telling me the car was to be returned at noon. Fortunatelly I had the contract with me and could double check right then, but again, a bit annoying, especially considering the issues at pick-up. All of this said, we got a good rate from them, and I would likely use them again, if the rate was right (but probably factor in more time for unexpected hicups)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olive Oil & Car Hire

For anyone happening to read this year-old thread and wondering about buying olive oil, don't buy it at Chania airport, where there is a very small, expensive selection in the now miserably-truncated little "duty free" shop.. Buy it at the central market, following George's advice about buying Extra Virgin oil. Buy honey there too.

Note that it cannot travel in hand luggage - any liquids over 100ml have to travel in the hold.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 23:59
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olive Oil & Car Hire

Another excellent source of olive oil is the Agia Triada Monastery. Extra Virgin, cold pressed and as good as any I've tasted.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olive Oil & Car Hire

Yes, the Agia Triada oil is excellent, and notwithstanding my advice, it's available at the airport. It's a more delicate, subtle oil than many other varieties. I actually prefer the stronger olive oils, but that's a question of taste. What matters is that the oil you buy is extra virgin.

newmarket suffolk
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olive Oil & Car Hire

Thanks for the replies to my year old thread, just to update you Auto Kappa were just ok the car was a bit old & battered but the drop off service was good at a hotel in Chania. Didnt buy Olive oil at the airport (cant remember why) we only travel with hand luggage so it rules out buying from anywhere else. We are once again going to Crete in October this year for a week in Paleochora sandwiched in between I night in Chania on arrival & 2 nights for a bit of an explore of the town on the way back, we are not bothering with a car this time as we intend to take the bus.

Thanks to everyone who replies with good advice & tips

7. Re: Olive Oil & Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 07:19