We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of queries please.............

Exeter
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of queries please.............

Hi

I have booked a week in Kolymbari at the end of July for myself and my husband. To keep costs down we are flying via Ryanair, downside is the flight arrives at Chania airport at midnight. I will be hiring a car as I want to explore a bit - my question is if I hire a car from the airport is the drive to Kolymbari ok at that time of night?

We have both driven abroad before but not Greece. I've looked on the map and it doesnt look too bad, particularly once we get to the national road but the reality could be different! Any tips would be most appreciated! The alternative is I get an airport transfer and then get the hire car from the hotel the next day, but I'm thinking the transfer could be quite long and will cost me more overall.

Finally, any recommendations for good local car hire companies in Chania would be very much appreciated, most of the ones I have contacted that are recommeded on TA wont deliver to Chania airport.

Thanks!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of queries please.............

Once you get to National Highway it's straightforward. Just be a bit cautious coming down from the airport and negotiating the Souda junction. Young local drivers believe in immortality, and taxi divers have a living to make, but they all have amazing reactions, (natural selection has weeded out those that don't, I' sure Kostas can confirm). Just relax and enjoy the trip, shame you won't see the scenery at that time.

Check out the airport bus bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

There is an all night bus service along the coast but I think it goes to Gerani, but a taxi frm the bus station would be cheaper than from the airport. I'm sure Kostas can confirm price.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of queries please.............

Hi there

If you've never driven in Greece before, I'd be rather cautious, especially after what will have been a long and tiring day travelling.. You'll have to access the E75 New National Road at Souda as suggested, otherwise you have no other option than to drive straight through Chania. Once on the E75, the ride to Kolimbari itself is easy enough but how will you find your hotel in the dark?

If the car rental firm you choose does the usual, you'll turn the ignition key to find out that there's very little petrol in the tank so you'd have to find fuel as well.

If it were me, I'd book the transfer and sort out the car the following morning. But that's just me being cautious I guess.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of queries please.............

Personally I agree with GB

Arrange a transfer, and get the car the following day.

Far less stress (plus you can have a nice drink on the plane to start your holiday off!)

Exeter
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of queries please.............

Thanks for your replies - billyseagull I hadn't thought of it like that!

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of queries please.............

Natural selection....ha ha ha...that was a good one!

As far as the drive, it is indeed actually easy to get onto the National road at Souda and then it is one straight line to Kolymbari. I don,t know if you have , apparently, already booked your hotel, so i could give some help on the final approach there.

As far as local car companies, most of them are delivering at the airport. Apart from that, as you said that you fly with Ryanair (have they started charging the air we are breathing in their airplanes yet, by the way?), as i know the have an agreement with Hertz and as a Ryanair,s customer you can get a car, extremely cheap. At least that,s the talk going around. Check that out. Also at the airport, apart from hertz, avis and sixt that they have offices, there is also Budget/Kydon as a good local firm and Trust ( which i personally don,t like as they tend occasionally to offer "taxi" services, bending the law, while their job is to rent a car. But then again, they are not the only one that do it).

Finally, the taxi fare to Kolymbari straight from the airport is 55 euro. Just in case, you consider about it.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of queries please.............

Hi Kostas, I think the OP problem with the car hire may be with picking the car up at the airport after midnight.

Years ago car hire companies were happy to leave the car with the keys under the mat and sort out the paperwork the next morning, but these days they won't do this as the insurance won't be valid.

I don't know which companies will have reps at the airport past midnight. I think your suggestion of checking out Ryanair's "partner" is a good one.

Re "natural selection" we used to count each year the number of wrecked taxis along the road down from the airport, but for the last ten years or so we don't see them. Either they don't crash any more, or they are being cleared away much more quickly. We use taxis a lot these days and observe that the ones we use don't hit anything.

7. Re: Couple of queries please.............

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16