We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with Heated Pool?

Bristol
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel with Heated Pool?

A group of us are looking to travel to Crete in early April next year. I am a little concerned that the water may be too cold for the young kids to swim at this time of year, and so I am wondering if anyone knows of a hotel or apartment complex with a heated pool? We would rather not rent a villa, as would like the kids to have the opportunity to make friends. Any help would be much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

You are right that the sea will be cold in early April, almost certainly too cold for the children unless they are little polar bears: it won't have had time to start warming up after the winter. Most pools are unheated too. You might try the Ammos - it has a pool - and ask if it is heated. It seems to be a lovely hotel, close to Chania and very child-friendly.

http://www.ammoshotel.com/

Bristol
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

Thanks, for your reply. The hotel looks ideal, I will enquire about pool heating.....

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

I would be surprised if any hotel has swimming pool. Ammos hotel is a seasonal hotel, so it doesn't have a swimming pool. Perhaps you could check a hotel in Chania old town, but I doubt it if there are any. Hotel prices are very low in the low season (before April), and the cost of maintaining a heated swimming pool in winter is high, so its not worth the cost for hotels to have heated swimming pools. I think the same goes to any warm and sunny destination. Best bet is to ask 4 or 5 star hotels about their swimming pools.

Good luck searching anyway!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
702 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

There are a small number or hotels with indoor pools, e.g. Kalyves Beach appartments. I don't know if these are heated, but they're probably warmer than outdoor pools early in the year. BTW pool at Talos, next door to GeorgeT in Agii Apostoli is sheltered within hotel, so may be warmer. Bt I don't know when it opens.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

> Ammos hotel is a seasonal hotel, so it doesn't have a swimming pool. <

Is that true, George? There is a picture of a beautiful pool on Ammos's website...

I'm sure you're right, if you say so, but ...

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

As i saw in the "big" ones, Kalliston has a heated pool.... atlanticahotels.com/en/…amenities .... as also as Avra Imperial, in Kolymbari which i guess it would be a bit far away from the city to be there, especially in April.

As George T said, i don't think you'll find a geated pool in anything less than a 5 starred hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

Kostas, or George, or someone, can you please say whether Ammos has a pool or hasn't? If it hasn't, I've misled AlexandraSun, but there IS a photo of a beautiful pool on its website.

AlexandraSun, whether or not it has a pool, I really don't think you are going to find what you want. The Kalliston seems to have three pools, two outdoor and one indoor, but it's clear from the website information that only the indoor one is heated:

atlanticahotels.com/en/…amenities

April is a great month to come to Crete in many ways, but not if swimming is a priority. My trips were mostly in April for many years, and I loved the cold sea (I love it less now that I'm older, and have changed months). Once I came in January, and the water seemed warmer than it had in all those Aprils. Admittedly that was on the south coast, where the snowmelt flows straight into the sea; and the air temperature was lower, which lessened the contrast between it and the water, but there's no getting away from the fact that the water is too cold in April for comfortable swimming. It's still quite cold in May. It begins to warm up properly in June, and from then on is what most people think of as warm until around mid-October.

If swimming is important, perhaps you ought to think about coming at a different time.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 07:19
Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Bristol
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

Thank you everyone, I will check out details of the bigger hotels, but as you say perhaps I will have to rethink the timing or destination.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

Also, please don't come to Crete in early April expecting to be sunbathing. You may be lucky & have weather warm enough to sit on the beach for a while on some days, but you may get rain & colder winds. This is Europe & the Med, not the tropics! I personally love March & April the best here, but then I hate the summer, as I don't want to sit on a beach all day. Just checking you understood it's not hot in early April.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
197 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with Heated Pool?

Hi Alabastron, hello to all!

Ammos hotel does have an outdoor pool which overlooks the beach.

It has a children's section as well but I don't think it is heated.

AlexanadraSun ,if swimming is a priority, I think that June and September are fine months to swim and see Crete - not overcrowded.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 11:24
Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece