We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast or South coast?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
West coast or South coast?

Hello, my fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Crete in early May. We will be staying at a resort for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon right after the wedding, but are thinking of something a little more rustic (but clean and well-cared for) for 4 additional days. I'm drawn to the Amygdalia Villas in Livadia on the West coast, and some hotels in/around Sfakia, but am having trouble making up my mind. We love the beach and are prepared to swim no matter the cold, but we're also big walkers and are interested in day hikes/walks. We don't need to be near any major action in terms of restaurants or nightlife, but the driving distances to Chania town seem comparable from either place mentioned above and might make a nice day trip. Also, as it's our honeymoon, we're putting a premium on gorgeous views and nice (though not necessarily luxury) accommodations. Any advice is welcomed! Thanks!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast or South coast?

Hi there, we stayed in one of the Amygdalia villas two years ago and can definitely recommended it. Amazing sea views, very quiet and peaceful. It is kind of in a middle if nowhere ( which we loved) but also the perfect places from which you can easily visit Elafonissi beach , if memory serves me right it was 15 min drive from the house. There are some interesting walks in this area as well, also just a short drive from Livadia.

Area around Sfakia would be more interesting for choice of walks and you will find a lot of info from experts in this area on this forum. We stayed one week in Sfakia last October to do the walks in surrounding area and loved it as well. Planning to go back this year but will probably look to stay in Loutro, Phoenix bay or Lykos bay this time. Coastal walk from Sfakia to Marmara beach is amazing and takes you past some great beaches. I remember arriving to Loutro and saying this is where we will stay next year, then coming to Phoenix bay and deciding that this is a place, only to change my mind once more when we arrived to Lykos bay. But that's Crete for you, so many beautiful places...

Good luck with weather you guys are having at the moment and happy honeymoon planning.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast or South coast?

The area on the Libyan Sea is well known for hiking. There are no big resorts but lots of nice hotels without big crowds. The drive down the switchback road near Sfakia is a must do experience. And you can visit the good beach and Fortress at nearby Frangokastelli. Sfakia would have my vote.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West coast or South coast?

Livadia isn't really a village or resort, but is near the very lovely (but often extremely busy) Elefonisi beach. It's a bit shorter drive to Hania than Sfakia. But going to Sfakia is a lovely drive & it's a great place, or you can go on a short boat-ride to Loutro, which is rather romantic. I think the Sfakia area is better for variety of beaches & walks. But do try to factor in at least a day in Hania, it's a very special little city.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West coast or South coast?

Thank you all! I am still trying to make up my mind, but I think we will end up in the villas on the west coast. The idea of facing west and enjoying romantic sunsets with a glass of wine on our terrace just sounds incredible. We will have a car, and I'm considering a day trip to Sougia for some walking. We enjoy exploring, car rides and hiking, so with an early start a day of exploration along a small part of the south coast is within reason, right?

Edited: 07 January 2014, 01:28
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West coast or South coast?

I would recommend Loutro, its idyllic at this time of year and would be ideal for a honeymoon.

Its a lovely little village which is only accessible by ferry from Sfakia.(20 mins only). There are lovely walking opportunities

back towards Sfakia to Sweetwater beach, or straight up to Anapolis for stunning views. Also west for Finix and Marmara.

And even though the beach there is small the swimming is excellent.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West coast or South coast?

"with an early start a day of exploration along a small part of the south coast is within reason, right?" - yes, of course. In fact it's easy to get to Paleochora & pretty easy to get to Sougia from that part of the island. & easy to do a lovely day driving in the hills around the Elos, Kandanas, region & (sorry to all those who've heard this from me before!), maybe Milia for lunch. I'd recommend a day at Falasarna, really lovely to see the sunset from one of the beach bars or Nicolas fish tavern, at the little port, which is a bit south of all the beaches.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West coast or South coast?

These are all wonderful suggestions. I think if we had a full week to explore the coast then Loutro would be ideal. However, given it's our first trip to the island, I think it will be better to have the ability to drive and explore more of the interior (which appeals more to my fiance) - not to mention the freedom of having a car and using it to explore other parts of the island if we want. Thank you so much for the suggested itinerary, JWugg, I'm going to save this for May! We will be heading to the Ligurian coast in Italy after Crete for a week, so we'll have another opportunity to do coastal hikes. I could spend my whole life hiking along different rugged coastlines, but I do know that Italy and Greece will be different. It just means I'll have to plan a return trip to Crete.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
971 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West coast or South coast?

Sfakia has more hikes, Livadia is more quiet and has better beaches! You can split your stay between the two depending what you like most, hike or beach.

9. Re: West coast or South coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:29