We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Chania

perth australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Day in Chania

Hello my wife I and another couple will be in Chania in July on a cruise for a just a day any suggestions for our day out thank you in advance your help

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Chania

I would suggest you take a taxi from the port to Chania old town and just enjoy the day exploring the city. This old town area has significant Venetian influence with its lighthouse, armories and harbour. Sit at waterfront bar and just soak it all in, watch people go by and imagine yourself back in the 1500's

See if you can find the central market just chock fully of spices, cheese, honey Raki and all kinds of treasures. If you are there on Thursday or Saturday there is an outdoor market starting just behind the Naval museum outside the city walls. See if you can find the street of Knives where they will shave the hair on your arm to prove how sharp the knives are. Ours still has its sharp blade a 7 years after buying it. Don't forget to explore the back alleys, you truly can step back into time in Chania.

Chania

flickr.com/photos/…

Have fun

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in Chania

Good start stanbr. also see the old synagogue, behind To Hani shop and Taverna of same name, walk up Theotokopolous St. and check out craft shops, the pantopoleion(local general store), and Mikalis weaver's shop. Visit display about Battle of Crete in Naval Museum. See the mosque on the harbour side, walk round eastern , inner harbour, see fishing boats and yachts, have lunch at one of 3 fish tavernas along there. At the far end is replica Minoan boat on display in old venetian building. If you find the Knife Maker's street you are very close to the Archeological dig of Minoan Kydonia, and the Byzantian walls, built using parts of the Helladic and Roman temples and public buildings (explaining why there are no buildings of that age remaining). "Leather Lane" is more touristy than it was but still a "must". If you have time visit the Public Gardens near the football stadium, see rather sad Kri-Kri family and the most ornate toilets in Crete in the Cafe. Don't forget your running shoes an and a good map. Enjoy your day!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day in Chania

Hey weloveholidays between us I think we have given the OP about three days worth of things to do in Chania. So much to see.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day in Chania

I have seven days planned there . . . including day trips to various villages, archeological sites and probably most of the time will be wandering around all the streets & side streets of the Old Town, not to mention eating and drinking! One day will only be a tease . . . but you'll get a taste of what's there and of course you can always go back to spend more time in one of the most towns in Greece!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day in Chania

If you have time for two meals, I'd recommend Tamam, which is just behind the Hotel Loukia on the Harbor. I've had some of the best meals in Greece there.

6. Re: Day in Chania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18