We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions from Chania.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions from Chania.

Can anyone recommend a company in Chania who do day excursions to places from there.

I would particularly like to visit the Akrotiri peninsular, among other places. Thank you for any info you can give me.

Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions from Chania.

1) Very difficult

The only excursion by bus you may find to Akrotiri is a one day trip to Gouverneto cave at Agia Eirini Monastery. Here I can not advise very well, I know for sure that from time there are trips organized a) from the official hikking association of Chania, b) religious trips organized by the church of Chania (because of the monastery) and c) eco tourism trips organized by Chania travel agents not on a regular basis.

2) Medium

There is a "pirate boat" trip it is called the black pearl and it starts from Souda Bay it visits some parts in Apokoronas and some parts in Akrotiri (Marathi, Loutraki). I think it is the same company that organizes the Balos cruises. You have to search the web to see which agents provide also transportation by bus to and from Souda bay.

3) Easy

Forget Akrotiri and join the classic excursions Elafonisi, Gramvousa, Knossos...

How?

1) Find a travel agent near to your hotel, if you stay in Chania town go to Halydon street you will find many, if you stay in the old town go to IO tours, Platanias-Splendor holidays, Agioi Apostoloi-Ok travel, Kalamaki-Kalamaki travel, every area has more than two agents.

2) Use the web. Ask a travel agent to pick you up from your hotel example maleme.info/en/…pick-up-locations.html

I hope I helped you

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions from Chania.

You can easily visit Akrotiri independently. Take a taxi from Chania to Agia Triada monastery, and ask the driver for his card. From there you can walk on a straight, easily followed path to Gouverneto and Katholiko. Walk back to Agia Triada, having phoned the taxi company to ask for a pickup there.

There's no point in arranging the pickup for the return, since you don't know how long the walk will take you, or how long you'll want to spend at each of the monasteries.

Check opening times before you go, especially for Gouverneto, whose opening days/hours are quite limited. Take your mobile phone and a map with you, and water, and something to eat, and enjoy the day. It's a wonderful, wild, scrubby landscape, and you can't get lost.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 12:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions from Chania.

To be clear(er) - I meant no point in pre-arranging the return pickup with the driver before you set out on the walk. I did that once, and regretted it, as I had to rush to get back to Agia Triada at the pre-arranged time.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 14:10
Greece
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions from Chania.

Correction...!!! I meant Agia Triada, terrible miswriting thanks Alabastron for writting it correctly.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions from Chania.

Thank you for all the information. I am sure we will find help also at our hotel.

6. Re: Excursions from Chania.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:15