We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos August Almyrida

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
242 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos August Almyrida

Can anyone advise what the mosquito situation is like in August?

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos August Almyrida

Hi,

If you are a mozzie target, like me, arm yourself with everything you can lay your hands on.

Don't know about Almyrida but we spend 3 weeks each August near Armeni and I speak from experience!

Should the odd wee beastie get through there are lots of products available locally to soothe the bites, and a drop of raki works wonders!!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
242 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos August Almyrida

Raki on the bites or drunk?? 😊 think I could manage to consume a few! I usually get bitten, but my partner doesn't. Just want to be prepared. Heard Avon, skin so Soft meant to be good. Think I will get arm myself with a few bits n Bob's just in case.

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos August Almyrida

Either or - I seriously have found that dabbed on it does help the bites, and if you drink enough you don't care anyway!

Avon's SSS is good and smells better than a lot of stuff. I take vitamin B6 and antihistamines which help with the itch.

The main thing I've realised is not to drop your guard - I've got lazy a couple of times and suffered for it!

Hope you have a great holiday - we're gasping for some Greek sun, bugs or not.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
242 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos August Almyrida

Yes probably won't care if I'm piddled 😊 Maybe if I drink enough they wont like the taste of me, here's hoping anyway. Can't wait to return to Crete, been too long.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
679 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos August Almyrida

If you get bitten, dab with neat tea tree oil, I got the tip from the guy who runs the herbal shop in Lappa/Argyropouli. I was sceptical, but it does seen to dry out the bite overnight. Marmite, Guiness and vitamin B supplements are all reputed to be deterrents, but I always make sure to use something with DEET in it to spray on. Make sure to plug in a liquid type mossi killer, and leave on full time in your room. One bottle refill always lasts us more than 14 days. " If drinking Raki doesn't cure it, rub it on!"

Edited: 28 June 2014, 21:04
6. Re: Mosquitos August Almyrida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17