We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in cape town.

Indore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights in cape town.

Need Help from experts & fellow travelers,

We will be visiting cape town in summers from Jan 23 - Jan 30, and i am struggling a bit to prepare travel itinerary for us. We are 3, couple and 4 year kid travelling from India.

- We are planning to rent a car and travel to garden route.

- We both are adventure lovers and want to do bungee, shark cage diving & whale watching too.

- Amidst the route we want to taste some great wine.

- Some of major attractions we have jotted down from web and other itineraries are

1) Table Mountain Rope way.

2) Two oceans aquarium

3) Lions Head

4) Cape of good hope

5) Wine tasting

6) Oudtshoom Ostrich farm

7) Boluder Beach

8) Whale watching

9) Shark Cage diving

10) Bungee jump

11) Congo Cave.

- Please suggest route Plan

- Do's & Don't for the trip

- Must to have / see in Cape / south bay other than what is mentioned over.

7 replies to this topic
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights in cape town.

YOu DONOT have enough time to do the GARDEN ROUTE AND CAPE TOWN. Its one of the other. PLENTY to do in Cape Town for 7 days which is not even enough time. It will take you 5-7 hours to do get to the garden route which is very long for a 4 year old. Just do Cape Town. Little ones get tired. She will LOVE THE AQUARIUM which can take a few hours and the rest of the one day at the Waterfront. I would HONESTLY leave out the Garden Route with a little one.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
149 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights in cape town.

Hi there, I have a 5 year old myself and have traveled a lot with her . We live in Cape Town and do roadtrips all the time. My daughter is scared at the aquarium because they have this dressed up shark running around so it can be a hit and miss, I would skip it. Will all the natural beauty around you don't want to be stuck inside. I def think you can do a bit of the Garden Route and Cape Town in 7 days. You will probably need to skip Lions head because you can only walk up (no cable car) and your 4 year old will not really manage that unless you want to take all day but you don't have that time. Cape of Good Hope, don't go all the way just go to Boulders Beach which will be fun for her being around the penguins. Skip the rest, it will be too busy and too long. Whale Watching is not possible in Jan so you can skip that as well. Who is going to look after you child when you do Shark cage diving? Do you travel with a nanny because I don't think the 4 year old will be able to go on the boat and you can't leave her by herself. Have you thought about these things? I'm happy to help in case you need more advice as I've done a lot of traveling with my daughter as a single mom. Take care! you will love it here!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights in cape town.

I took my 3 year old and 1 year old grandchildren to the Aquarium and they absolutely loved it and could not get enough of it. I have friends who have been taking their children to the Aquarium since they were 1 years old, so I think it depends on the child. I would definitely not skip it as it is just about the only thing you will be doing that is actually for her. There is also the World of Birds in Hout Bay which my grandchildren loved. Personally I think you need to think about things for her to do as well. Also what time of the year will you be coming

Indore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights in cape town.

Hi

Thanks for your valuable advise i will definitely keep a note of it.

Indore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 nights in cape town.

Thanks for your reply.

i will be travelling in January 2018 and will be there for Jan 23 - Jan 30.

All information says we should skip garden route as it will take lot of time, Please let me know what are other activities around we can spend our time in ? we have 7 nights with us in Cape town.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 nights in cape town.

You definitely DO NOT have time to do the Garden Route as well. You have just a week in Cape Town which is not much time so you can definitely spend all your time in Cape Town. If you do a search through the thousands of posts on here there will be lots of information on what you should do.

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 nights in cape town.

if you are planning to do the Garden Route , you are in for a fair amount of travelling. Not ideal if you are travelling with a child. There is tons to do and see around Capetown itself. Amazing beaches, table mountain, waterfront etc.

Reply to: 7 nights in cape town.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted