We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

My Fiancee and I are considering either cape grace or 12 apostles for our June honeymoon next year? Which is the nicer of the 2 hotels as its our honeymoon we want complete luxury and lovely surroundings!! Thank you

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

The Cape Grace would be my choice,

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

Hi,

12 Apostles is very secluded and "away from it all". Beautiful view but you would have to drive to the Waterfront or where the action is.

Cape Grace is at The Waterfront and is a lovely hotel. You would be close to the city and have more options where you could dine. There are shops and tourist activities close-by.

Surroundings are both luxurious and lovely - one is secluded and the other is not.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

Cape Grace - no question. In my opinion, it is the best hotel in town. And your agent should be able to place you there using one of their promotional rates. Their "Ultimate Romance" package in June will offer 4 nights when you pay for 3, plus you choose one of several 'freebies'. You can see it here:http://www.capegrace.com/rooms/specials

I have honeymoon clients - M/M Plavnik - there right now, in fact.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Dublin
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

Thanks so much for the advice! Our instincts were saying cape grace it gets such good reviews on here

Another hotel that has been recommended is O on kloof? Think i would prefer a waterfront location though

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

I suspect O would be less expensive and a completely different sort of experience. Not a bad one, just not as personal and private as Cape Grace.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

You might also like to consider Ellerman House www.ellerman.co.za - probably the most exclusive luxury hotel - it is located close to O on Kloof and enjoys wonderful coastal views.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

Cape Grace!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

If you want complete luxury apparently the new place to stay is The One and Only at the waterfront, my neighbours have just booked their honeymoon there, but it is R5000 per night

Ireland
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

we honeymooned in south africa and cape grace was the best hotel in terms of luxury, location, wow factor, service etc..

in fact its probably the best hotel i have ever stayed in throughout the world...and we only stay in 5star hotels when away on holiday...

trust me you will not want to leave this place...it is virtually on the v and a waterfront...

we are planning to go back... it is just fantastic :)

also they really do look after honeymoon couples!!!

Edited: 07 May 2010, 19:23
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Grace or 12 apostles?

Both the Cape Grace and The Twelve Apostles have their merits - if pushed I would suggest CG has the edge partly because of its more central and convenient location. On a nice sunny day a light lunch on the terrace of the Leopard Lounge overlooking the ocean at 12A is a very pleasant experience so you could always call in.

Ellerman House I know only by reputation and Macsym is very knowledgeable on hotels (well other things as well !) but I do wonder whether it is a "honeymoon" destination - a little bit too formal and stuffy perhaps ?

Forget The One and Only in my opinion - This chain has its strengths but city based hotels is not one of them.

Finally a new suggestion for you - The Mount Nelson - a not at all stuffy hotel which I was going to say would give you a once in a lifetime experience except that after wifey and I went there on our honeymoon we went back and will be going back again. The staff there are the best in the business.