We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with first time trip to Cape Town

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
Help with first time trip to Cape Town

Hi,

I have quite a few questions about Cape Town. Sorry in advance :(

I'm volunteering at Ukutula In April 2011 and I am planning on travelling from Johannesburg down to Cape town after to do some sight seeing. I will be arriving in Cape Town on a Monday evening and leaving on a Friday.

Question 1. I was planning on getting an internal flight fom J'burg to Cape to Town and buying my ticket when im in S.A as im guessing that it would be cheaper than buying it in the U.K before I travel. Is this correct? Also, roughly how much will this cost?

The main thing I want to do whilst in Cape Town is to go shark diving. Is there any companies anyone can recommend? I have also been told to wait until I am in Cape Town and then purchase my ticket as this will also be alot cheaper. Is this correct?

Also, do you think it will be possible to have someone come with me onboard without having to pay as she doesnt want to dive and not interested in sharks, but she doesnt want to stay in Cape Town herself. Do you think this will be possible?

Can anyone recommend any companies that are great for diving?

I had also been told that Ashanti Lodge in Cape town is very nice and cheap but reading on here it seems the opposite. Has anyone stayed here? Would this be the best location to stay for going places like going up Table Mountain, Robben Island and Shark Diving (obv, having to travel for 2 hours for shark diving but im fine with that). Can anyone recommend somewhere that is safe, cheap and cheerful that is not miles away from everything as we will be eating out alot and wanting to go shopping but not wanting to spend all our money on taxis.

So sorry for all the questions, I am a very nervous 21 year old and I am hoping to get everything organised before I leave.

Many thanks in advance and all help will be greatfully appreciated.

Scottish Traveller x

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with first time trip to Cape Town

I'll see how much help I can offer... and use your questions to do it.

Question 1. I was planning on getting an internal flight fom J'burg to Cape to Town and buying my ticket when im in S.A as im guessing that it would be cheaper than buying it in the U.K before I travel. Is this correct?

NO, YOU WON'T SAVE ANYTHING BY WAITING. PERHAPS JUST THE OPPOSITE. BUT YOU SHOULD COMPARE FARES ON THE AIRLINES THAT FLY THAT ROUTE. SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS, BRITISH AIRWAYS, KULULA, ONE TIME, MANGO. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO INCLUDE THAT JNB/CPT SEGMENT IN YOUR MAIN TICKET IF YOU FLY FROM LONDON ON SA OR BA. WORTH ASKING THEM.

Also, roughly how much will this cost?

APRIL 2011 FARES AREN'T AVAILABLE YET, BUT THE LOWEST FARE RIGHT NOW WOULD BE 100GBP, MORE OR LESS.

The main thing I want to do whilst in Cape Town is to go shark diving. Is there any companies anyone can recommend? I have also been told to wait until I am in Cape Town and then purchase my ticket as this will also be alot cheaper. Is this correct?

NO, THERE'S NO BENEFIT IN WAITING. THE RATES YOU SEE ON THE WEB SITES WILL BE THE COST.

Also, do you think it will be possible to have someone come with me on board without having to pay as she doesnt want to dive and not interested in sharks, but she doesnt want to stay in Cape Town herself. Do you think this will be possible?

NO, SHE WOULD PAY THE SAME RATE THAT YOU WOULD.

Can anyone recommend any companies that are great for diving?

I RECOMMEND WHITE SHARK ECOVENTURES - www.white-shark-diving.com

I had also been told that Ashanti Lodge in Cape town is very nice and cheap but reading on here it seems the opposite. Has anyone stayed here? Would this be the best location to stay for going places like going up Table Mountain, Robben Island and Shark Diving (obv, having to travel for 2 hours for shark diving but im fine with that). Can anyone recommend somewhere that is safe, cheap and cheerful that is not miles away from everything as we will be eating out alot and wanting to go shopping but not wanting to spend all our money on taxis.

ASHANTI IS CERTAINLY CHEAP, CATERS TO YOUNG TRAVELERS ON A BUDGET. STAY IN ONE OF THE GUEST HOUSE PRIVATE ROOMS FOR SURE. IT IS NOT VERY CONVENIENT TO ANY OF THE TOURIST SITES. IT IS CLOSE ENOUGH TO KLOOF STREET TO WALK TO CAFES, SHOPS.

THIS SITE - http://www.citysightseeing.co.za/timetables - SHOWS YOU THE ROUTES FOR THE 2 HOP-ON HOP-OFF BUSES. THE NEAREST STOP TO ASHANTI IS #7, THE MOUNT NELSON HOTEL, WHICH IS JUST A FEW MINUTES WALK FROM ASHANTI. YOU CAN USE THE BUSSES TO GET TO THE V&A WATERFRONT, WHICH IS WHERE YOU CATCH THE BOAT TO ROBBEN ISLAND. THE BUS ALSO STOPS AT THE FOOT OF TABLE MOUNTAIN. THE BLUE LINE WOULD BE A FUN RIDE JUST TO GET OF THE CITY AND SEE SOME OF THE SURROUNDING AREA.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with first time trip to Cape Town

Excellent reply by Dave. We also use White Shark Ecoventures. Regarding flight costs, if you want to keep costs down try the low cost airlines, mango, 1time, kulula. Often you can get a flight for less than GBP 70 one way. Just remember if you pay online by credit card you will be expected to produce that same credit card during check in. Great to hear you will doing some volunteering in South Africa.

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with first time trip to Cape Town

Thanks bwanadave and wild-wings. Thats a great help. Thats so much info and im very thankful. I will definately look into the shark diving and the sight seeing websites. xx

4. Re: Help with first time trip to Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2010, 05:18