We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

My daughter is going to Cape Town for 5 months from mid July to mid December as part of a gap year exchange so we are working out now what to pack etc. We figure that when the weather gets quite a bit warmer in a couple of months she will want to send home her heavier winter clothes (coat etc) so that she has more space (weight) free for any extra purchases she makes during her time in South Africa (which I am sure will be many and varied!). What sort of postage charges are there for sending a parcel home as opposed to paying excess luggage fees on the way home. What is the most secure way of getting the goods home? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

have bumped this post as I would REALLY appreciate some advice before my daughter flys out of Melbourne next Friday!

Thanks all.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

Shipping back clothes by post (unless exensive designer labels - which she probably wouldn't bring anyway) will cost nearly the price of the items.

Just bring a cheap warm zip up and a sweater or two and when it gets warmer give them away. They will be hugely appreciated for next winter by a family who live in a shack with just a dangerous paraffin stove for heating.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

Try googling "discount excess baggage" - they have offices in Aus and SA.

On another matter Cape Town winters are wet and windy, but not excessively cold. I'm not sure that there will be that much call for "heavy" winter coats etc.

I think VdCaab is on to something with his cost benefit approach.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

Thank you both for your posts. Donating some clothing is a great idea - I think we will definitely go with that!

Wrexham U.K.
Level Contributor
18 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

Definitely donate all you can spare, we go to Capetown almost every winte and take several kilos of pens and pencils to a township school as it can make the difference between a child continuing school and having to give up. A good idea if you haven't already bookied a flight use Emrates as they give you a generous 30kg baggage allowance. If I can give you any help please email me. enjoy an amazing place with wonderful people!

6. Re: Best way to get extra luggage/clothing home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 05:17