We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back again - getting deeper into CPT

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Back again - getting deeper into CPT

Hi all,

My husband and I went to Cape Town in 09 and are going back again! The first time, we did all the usual tourist things, Table Mtn, Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Franschhoek, Roben Island, etc. So I now have 2 questions:

1. What do you think is the next "layer" of wonderful things to do, now that we can get a little deeper in to the city? We love food, cultural/historical stuff and really getting the feel of a place.

2. I have done a safari in Kruger, but my husband has not. We might want to do that this time. I was looking at Sanbona? Thoughts? I was surprised about how pricey it was, but at least we would not have to fly somewhere. Are there any other places that are drivable and decent? I know CPT is not really the place to safari - so should we just bite the bullet and get plane tickets somewhere, like Sabi Sabi?

Many, many thanks.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

If your hasband has only been to Cape Town, he really needs to see some of the rest of the country. Bite the bullet.

Boise
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

Kruger is great. I think you should not miss it.

The drive from Cape Town is really long. We met a couple that actually did it, but it is a lot of work. Flying will save a lot of time.

In Kruger we stayed at the main camps and we drove a rental car. That is much less expensive than than the private camps. We enjoyed the trip a lot and we saw plenty of wildlife.

We stayed at Shingwedzy, Letaba, Satara and Lower Sabie. Really, I cannot say that one area was more interesting than others. You may get lucky anywhere.

Hope this helps. I really recommend Kruger. And the camps are a very good deal.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

For Kruger I absolutely agree with spanish2.

But back to your main question on things to do around Cape Town other than the standard tourist "Top Ten". You don't say when you are coming and what you do is always going yto depend on the season of the year. But here's a list I made on another thread some time back of the second best ten things to do in Cape Town. Maybe some ideas from this :

This list shows a broader appeal depending on what your interests are – Historic, Artistic, Sporting and Action!

1. Visit The Castle of Good Hope - Cape Town Castle is the oldest European building in Southern Africa. It has never been attacked since being built in 1666 and is in a wonderful state of preservation. Contains a number of excellent museums on Cape Town, Arts and Crafts and Military Life. As well as a couple of restaurants and a quiet oasis in the centre of the city.

2. Cape Town is an excellent centre for the Performing Arts. Pick up a performance by one or more of the Cape Town Philharmonic (usually at the City Hall), Cape Town Opera (at Artscape or Baxter theatres) or Cape Town City Ballet (again Artscape or Baxter). All Internationally renowned professional companies. Open Air Shakespare performances every summer at Maynardville Theatre in Wynberg. International touring productions of West End/Broadway musicals or local theatre performances in ten theatres around the city.

3. Take a trip to Hout Bay harbour - the Capes biggest fishing harbour. Eat at one of the harbour fish restaurants. Take a 45min boat trip to see hundreds of seals on Seal Island.

4. Go horse-riding on Noordhoek's 6km of pristine white sand beach.

5. Visit the Bo-Kaap. The unique area still lived in by the descendants of Cape Towns 18th and 19th cent Islamic community of freed slaves. See the unique colourful buildings and eat “Cape Malay” food in local restaurants.

6. Take in an International or South African Cricket or Rugby game at one of the two great Stadiums at Newlands – “the most beautiful cricket ground in the world”. Visit the Rugby Museum and learn about the current World Champions.

7. Visit Groot Constantia Wine Estate. Three museums in the 17th cent house and outbuildings show the history of the Estate, the slaves who were shipped here to work it and the history of Wine making. The house is fully furnished with unique Cape Dutch furniture from the 17th and 18th cents. Of course you can also taste the wines!

8. For the brave hearted Paraglide off Lions Head towards the Ocean or Abseil down Table Mountain.

9. See where the world’s sporting focus was six months ago. Greenpoint houses the magnificent new stadium built for the Fifa Soccer World Cup. You won’t miss seeing it on your trips to the Waterfront. Stadium tours are sometimes available but the best is to go to a game. Two of the Cape Town teams Ajax Cape Town and Vasco da Gama play some of their games there. At least one Friday night each month during the season. Tickets are cheap. Best seats are R100 ($15) even for a double header (two games back to back).

10. Play Golf at one of Cape Towns magnificent Golf Courses with their spectacular mountain and sea views – Milnerton, Rondebosch, Steenberg or Altantic Beach among many.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

I went to Sanbona a few months ago and wrote this trip report: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312653-i9207-k411…

I really think it is the only place close to Cape Town where you will get a 'real' wildlife experience and I loved the place but if seeing the big 5 is your main priority then I think you will be better off visiting one of the private reserves in the Sabi Sands or maybe doing a tour of the Garden Route and then extending it to include one of the reserves in the Eastern Cape. If you are visiting during our warmer months then I really would recommend a Garden Route tour. It is a beautiful part of our country and there are lots of great outdoor activities in the area.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

Kruger is awesome - but wouldnt recomend driving from Cape Town - get an internal flight to Nelspruit. Why not drive the Garden Route and then on to Addo?

Have you been up the west coast yet?

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

If you are prepared to travel a bit here is some ideas.

Go visit Wuppertal, www.sa-venues.com/attractionswc/wuppertal.php - I would make this a 2 day trip. Go there via the N7 and come back via Ceres.

Explore the West Coast - sa-venues.com/attractionswc/westcoast-attrac… If you do go there then eat here, sa-venues.com/things-to-do/westerncape/feast…

Visit the beautiful Breede River Vallei, and enjoy some wine tatsting, sa-venues.com/attractionswc/breederiver-attr… Be sure to vist the Karoo Desert National Botanical Garden, sa-venues.com/attractionswc/karoo-national-b…

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

Thanks so much for the great info! Lots to think about. Sorry for leaving some things out - we will be traveling at the end of March. The reason we are going to be based in CPT again is that we have a friend who we are staying with - so that leaves us with some extra funds for a mini-trip to safari!

Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

I keep forgetting things! I wasn't clear about this, but I realize that Kruger is too far too drive from CPT. I meant that I would like to try somewhere else, because I have already been there, and I would like a different experience with my husband.

Thanks!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

Drive the Garden Route and try Addo then...its just been expanded....book through www.sanparks.org/parks/addo and its about ZAR500 per night...you wont regret it, and if you are there late March I will give you a wave.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 14:04
10. Re: Back again - getting deeper into CPT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 10:39