We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

The wife and I will land into CPT intl airport on Jan 31st at approx 10:40pm and the plan is to rent a car and drive to Franschhoek. I know the situation isnt ideal, but thats how its worked out.

Since this is our first time in SA, we seek advice on the best and more importantly the safest route to do this. How long will the journey be?

Many thanks!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
161 reviews
1. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

You take the N2 towards Somerset West, then the R301 (BadenPowel Drive) to and around Stellenbosch. Once over the Helshoogte pass (passing by Tokara, Delaire and Boschendal), you turn right onto the R45 towards Franschhoek. The roads are all very good and it should take about 1 hour.

South Africa
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

You could also have a car to meet you and then hire a car in Franschhoek the day after a good nights sleep. The alternative is to stay at an airport hotel and drive the next day.

The route already given is correct . It is safe to drive.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hi,

Not a good idea to drive to Franschhoek late at night, especially not after a long flight. You could arrange a transfer and, after a good night's sleep, take possession of your rental vehicle the following day or a day later.

The cost of the transfer should be in the region of R400 to R600.

Why arrive feeling tired and stessed?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
4. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Why not book into the hotel near the airport and travel the next day?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Because C.T. has only one miserable hotel at the airport! LOL.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,490 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Pretty much all Cape Town's hotels are within 20 minutes of the airport at that time of night.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
7. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hello traveller from Pune,

I am interested in knowing how your late night drive from Cape Town Airport to Franschhoek panned out?

I am in a similar situation.My flight will land at 11.00 p.m and I have asked the Hotel to pick-up me up at the airport and drive to me Franschhoek - about 50Km and 45 mins. However I am not sure how safe the roads are -- the internet is a-buzz with blood curldling stories of armed assault, robberies, abduction and murder, so I am rather concerned.

Please let me know your thoughts

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hi Globetrotter - Don't know how long you've been in Cleveland, but I had a nice 13 years there on Channels 5 & 3 as a TV news anchor. If my credibility is still good, you can trust me when I say that it's totally safe. But a 45 minute drive from the airport to Franschhoek is a quick one. An hour might be closer to it, if you are going all the way into town.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
105 reviews
9. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hi Dave,

As a female, I would definitely not drive that route alone. My brother, who lives in Somerset West, also refuses to drive between the Airport and Somerset West on the N2 at night. The reason is that if your car should break down, it could be vandalised, also there have been instances of stones being thrown at vehicles and animals do graze on the side of the freeway.

However, I would feel safe in the company of an experienced driver who knows the way and is aware of the problems which might occur.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
105 reviews
10. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hi Folks,

To prove my point, I am quoting from this morning's Cape Times (local newspaper):

"Carte Blanche presenter attacked on N2.

Television presenter B. Bingwa survived an attack by 2 men after he had lost his way and stopped along the N2 yesterday afternoon.

Bingwa, ......was on his way from Cape Town International Airport in a hired car and had pulled off the road to set GPS co-ordinates after he had taken a wrong turn."

I do not wish to paint a bleak picture, but attacks do happen and I feel visitors should be on their guard and not drive in certain areas late at night.