We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Table Mountain from City Bowl area

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Table Mountain from City Bowl area

Hi there

My husband and I will be staying at Mandela Rhodes Place during our visit to Cape Town. We won't be renting a car and were wondering what's the best way to get from the City Bowl area to Table Mountain.

I looked at the option of getting the Hop On Hop Off bus tickets since it's goes to Table Mountain and there's a stop right across from the hotel, but at the same time, many of the stops that this bus makes are already walking distance from the hotel e.g. St George's Cathedral, District Six Museum, South African Museum, etc. So I'm not so sure anymore if it's still going to be worth it for us to buy the Hop On Hop Off bus ticket mainly just for the purpose of going to Table Mountain. There are a few remaining places that we could go with the bus ticket that are not walking distance from our hotel like Camps Bay and Sea Point. Do you all think it's still worth it for us to get the HOHO bus tickets? Or are we better off taking a cab to Table Mountain and how much approximately will it cost from the City Bowl area?

Thanks!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Table Mountain from City Bowl area

A return taxi journey will cost about 100 -120 rand so if you really think that the HOHO bus is not what you want then it would be cheaper but the HOHO bus does take you to many other parts of the city over the course of a whole day or two days and you can travel on several different routes

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Table Mountain from City Bowl area

Thanks, BelfastTaxman.

Is Sea Point worth a visit? The HOHO ticket goes there too but if it's not really a must-go place, then I might not need the HOHO afterall. Also, I know I can still go to Camps Bay with the HOHO but we are also thinking of joining Cape Convoy Tours for the Cape Point Tour and according to the itinerary it looks like the day tour will also make a stop at Camps Bay. But I'm not sure how much time we get to spend at Camps Bay during the day tour. I heard that it's great to get a cocktail and chill out there and I doubt we'll get to do that on the tour.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Table Mountain from City Bowl area

Just up the road from you is a gentleman whom i use to transport my, mostly American, clients. He is the most affordable. You can call him from a local phone on 0829216755. He, of course has a suitably registered vehicle and extremely reliable.

You're right that if you're staying anywhere in the city you get to all the sites by walking.

4. Re: Getting to Table Mountain from City Bowl area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 14:16