We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

I am flying in to Cape Town later this year (December) and spending about 4 days there followed by another 4 in Franschoek. I have an additional 4 days to play with, and there is so much choice of things to do, I am a little confused! Am a bit of a foodie, and also like the beach. Also, I don't want to travel too far down the garden route as I've travelled extensively there before. I know it's a wide brief, but any suggestions out there?

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

Maybe try up the west coast area - Paternoster is nice. Just in the process of planning a return visit for Dec this year. and not too far from Cape Town.Stayed January 2011.

But enquire now as some b&b's are already full over the Xmas/ New Year period.

You could drive via Tulbagh or Riebeek Wes - very pretty areas.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

Paternoster would be an excellent choice as it has a lovely beach and some very good restaurants: Ah!, Gaaitjie, Oep ve Koop, Saffron, Suzi's.

Alternatively (but with no beach) you could explore the Robertson Valley, Route 62 and Prince Albert.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

Another vote for Paternoster if you are looking for a food & beach destination outside of Cape Town - although I think 4 days there might be a bit too long? Im assuming that you have been to Cape Town before and dont want to spend more time there, otherwise I would also recommend staying on the Cape Peninsula for a few days. Places like Kommetjie and Noordhoek have lovely beaches and scenery and lots of foodie places to try out.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

And another vote for Paternoster. Great place to recharge the batteries and eat some good food. I could easily spend 4 days here. I visited during a recent holiday, spending 3 nights at Ah (would definitely recommend staying here - my favourite guest house in South Africa and breakfast is a foodie's dream!). This was my second visit and I loved it just as much as the first time, even with poor weather. Great beach for long walks and lots more to do close by if you want - Langebaan lagoon, West Coast National Park, the river at Veldrift, fossil park

Only downside is that the water is freezing and swimming is only for the brave!

Lisa

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

Hi there I spent a couple of days in Oudsthoorn, which has some really great attractions. There is the cango caves which you can tour either in half a day or a whole day depending on far or deep you wish to go. You can also visit an ostrich farm and ride one and believe me you havent live till youve done that. Another highlight is a visit a cheetah reserve where you are allowed to go inside and pet the cheetahs. It was a lovely experience.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I am very grateful.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

One more vote for Tulbagh... mostly b/c it is off the beaten track with some excellent and not too well known wines on offer. I was recently there - if you want to get the feeling for the place, have a look at this link http://tinyurl.com/5t7l8b3 it's a nice write up about it. I also live in Noordhoek - it is amazing, try Monkey Valley for a few days, but only if you can get a cabin with a view. It's set on the hillside in the shelter of the milkwood trees with panoramic views of the sea. I wouldn't stay for 4 days tho - it is on Cape Town's doorstep (40 min outside the city, in off peak drive time), but makes a nice base to explore the southern peninsula. Enjoy your trip!

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

Have you decided yet?

It's hard making your mind up. Why not have 2 nights Paternoster then 2 nights Tulbagh? A bit of both then!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

So many great suggestions - thanks!

In terms of driving time, any views on whether I am crazy attempting the following routing - Franschoek to Swellendam (for 2 nights) then across to Paternoster (2 nights) before heading back to Cape Town airport. I don't really have a sense of whether this is an easy or difficult drive!

Many thank again.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for places to go after Cape Town

I would say Franshhoek to Tulbagh then Paternoster would be ok but not sure about Swellendam bit in your plan. Just wait for the other responses asmost of them live in SA