We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

Will I be able to buy one easily from a store near Long St in Cape Town ?

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

Not sure about Long Sreet itself. Pick and Pay which is a big supermarket chain here often stocks them. The one at the Waterfront has had whenever people I take there need an adapter. That is a ten minute taxi ride at most. There are AA travei shops in most big shopping centers which stock them. Long street or very near is bound to have them as the area caters for tourists and many come from the UK.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

Cheers, nice to know i won't have a problem

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

Thanks, nice to know i wont have a problem

Edited: 18 March 2011, 01:33
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

In Long Street there are lots of small shops which would have adaptors but the best place is a large store called Eagle Lighting. This a big lighting and electrical store about half way down Long Street which covers nearly a block!

You can get single adaptors which are multi-function and take UK plugs as well as most three pin and two pin plugs for chargers and other appliances. Voltage is 220-240V so that's no problem. I prefer a multi way block which can take 2x3pin plus one by 2 pin plugs. One of the 3 pin can be an SA plug straight through. This is important in some hotels where you can only find one socket and that has the only light in the room plugged into it! About R65 at Eagle Lighting. Single adaptors about R45

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

You can also pick them up at Heathrow airport. From memory I think they were around £10 for 2 adaptors, so R45 is cheaper but Heathrow easier!!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

not when I'm flying from Manchester ;-)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

I would be very surprised if they didn't have them at Manchester. You can also pick one up from Amazon at less than £5

Happy holiday!

8. Re: Availability of Travel Plug/Adaptor UK to SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:18